Issues with Brisket (Still)

Kimble

Hi

I may sound like a broken record here, but I have yet to perfect a brisket. I've done three of them with moderate success but still have not yielded a tender, moist brisket. I think I am just not being patient enough. Here's a run down of my last cook:

I foiled the brisket at 150 - i wanted it to creep up higher than that but it was stuck at 150 for several hours (11lb brisket)

I removed the brisket at about 185 as I was worried that the meat would become too dried out. The probe was meeting me with resisitance and was not going in like butter.

Question - am I not being patient enough? Does the meat really become more tender from 185 to 195?

Overall, the brisket took 185 degrees and was good, but not nearly tender as i would have thought.

Your comments are appreaciated.

Dave

I always foil at 160 and remove when my knife goes in like butter. You should get plenty of tips from the real pros on this board to help you out. Did you cook a whole packer or just a flat?

patience grasshopper. i don't even foil. if you want to then do it around 160 as mentioned. i cook mine to 198 or so. it comes out the way my wife and i like it. but for sure use the probe method. when it goes in easily then its done. the meat can be differant from one to another in density and fat content so there are no real set rules in time, etc. its done when its done. yers was undercooked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kimble:
Hi

I may sound like a broken record here, but I have yet to perfect a brisket. I've done three of them with moderate success but still have not yielded a tender, moist brisket. I think I am just not being patient enough. Here's a run down of my last cook:

I foiled the brisket at 150 - i wanted it to creep up higher than that but it was stuck at 150 for several hours (11lb brisket)

I removed the brisket at about 185 as I was worried that the meat would become too dried out. The probe was meeting me with resisitance and was not going in like butter.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I foiled the brisket at 150 - i wanted it to creep up higher than that but it was stuck at 150 for several hours (11lb brisket)</span>
Overall, the brisket took 185 degrees and was good, but not nearly tender as i would have thought.

Your comments are appreaciated.

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBQ requires patience!!! You are foiling too soon and you're going by temperature to determine doneness! Use temperature as a guide, not as a rule. Foil around 165º, then start checking for doneness (TENDER) around 190º. IT could be done at 190º or sooner or not until 205º. The brisket is done when you can easily insert a probe or fork into the meat. If you're cooking a whole brisket, measure for doneness (TENDER) in the flat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> stuck at 150 for several hours </div></BLOCKQUOTE> - this is the plateau. Keep going, even 185 is not hot enough. Remember, you are not doing a steak, you are doing a brisket. It's different.

Foiling is good for holding in heat, and some will argue that it may help juiciness. I have done both, and the best that I have learned from this site is that the only real true way to know about a brisket is the fork/probe test. When it goes in easy, and feels like butter, it is ready. I usually remove it and foil while it rests, until I slice it. I have learned that two things are always true about briskets. ONE - Every brisket is different!, and TWO - They are best when the fork or probe goes in like butter! (Of course I am speaking of flats only..)Good luck!

YES! Foiling is optional, not necessary by any means. However, the advantage foil gives you is consistency with the finished product and timing. Considering every piece of meat is different and cooks differently, foil (if used correctly) can help every piece of meat finish the same way as far as timing, texture, tenderness and moisture are concerned.

Back