Is this enough meat? Help needed.

Andres L.

TVWBB Member
HELP!!! I’m having a birthday party this weekend and I have 35 adults and 15 kids attending.,I was planning on making

6 Racks of baby backs
4 tri tips
15 lbs of chicken
24 hot dogs (mostly for the kids)

But now I’m thinking it doesn’t look like enough Meat. There will be all the traditional sides too.
What do you think??
And I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

6 racks of baby backs 1/2 rack per person around 12 people
4 tri-tips @ 2.5 lbs = 10 lbs at 4oz per sandwich = 40 sandwiches
15 lbs of chicken (depending on which pieces) at 8 oz per person = 30 people
24 hotdogs = should handle 15 kids.

You should be OK... with multiple meats people tend to sample all of them... If it was me I'd go with two meat options either ribs and chicken or tri tips and chicken.

You will most likely be fine unless you have 35 Jim Lampe's! If so you probably need to times by 10!

I appreciate the input. Sometimes you get so caught up with things it's nice to have just a little reassurance. I appreciate it.

keep in mind you should have a lot of sides with that too--beans, salads, slaws etc so the meat quantity appears perfect.

It sounds like you'll be fine. (the kids WILL waste the bbq, sorry, but this is true) And I know it's rude to tell the parents that hot dogs are for the kids but you'll inevitably wind up with little Johnny taking lots of que and taking 3 bites. Kids, gotta love em'. (they waste drinks like crazy too)
icon_biggrin.gif

Throw an extra rack of ribs (or whatever your favorite is) so that you get your fill without stressing about your guests not having enough and then you feel guilty about even eating your own master work.

Just an idea.

Hahaha Jay your response made me laugh. But it's true. Anyhow Just to be safe I think I'm going to get 20 lbs of chicken, 2 of the big packs from costco and the cryovac bag of tri tips from costco too. I think that is going to have about 6 tri tips. Better to have too much I guess. Thanks for the input.

My wife and I were discussing this over dinner (apple wood smoked brats nestled in garlic sauteed in olive oil spread buns with chopped purple onion off the 18" silver came out NICE by the way) and I decided that a good way to mitigate the waste by the kids is to have the hot dogs come off about a half hour before the que. So I'm going to call out to the parents that "HOT DOGS ARE DONE, COME MAKE YOUR KIDS' PLATES SO THAT WE CAN ALL ENJOY OUR MEALS WHILE THE KIDS ARE PLAYING AFTER THEIR MEALS) Or something to that effect.

I think it will be nice that the adults can eat while the kids play and the kids will be too stuffed to think they are going to eat half racks of ribs.
icon_cool.gif

Back