Is there a guide on restoring a genesis to prevent galvanic corrosion?

I've searched the forums and read a lot of stuff. General consensus is try to use stainless parts?

I have a genesis C I restored about 5 years ago and it's due again. My framerail on the left side is rusting but solid. The body is getting a lot of the aluminum blooming from galvanic reaction. I'd like to do a longer-term style restore for this one.

High heat powder coating sounds like it could work, so I would ask a powder coater in your area what he recommends.

Keeping dissimilar metals from touching each other. Unless they're inert. Basically watch for reactive metals steel, iron, aluminum and some others. Put a non reactive component between. Very basic stuff. Not complicated. Take a lesson from plumbing

Keeping dissimilar metals from touching each other. Unless they're inert. Basically watch for reactive metals steel, iron, aluminum and some others. Put a non reactive component between. Very basic stuff. Not complicated. Take a lesson from plumbing

Okay, there are a number of critical places where it's aluminum-steel. The lower cookbox feet rest on the frame. The burner tubes attaching to the cookbox. I think that the lower cookbox has to be 100% isolated as do the burner tubes.

The chemistry of it isn't complicated, but the mechanical aspect of providing total isolation I don't think is as simple as it seems. Galvanic corrosion in these situations can be complicated, IE the main reaction is between the left side frame bolt and bottom cookbox. However if that is isolated the charge will simply go through the next path of least resistance. So you can't just isolate the "worst spot", they all have to be isolated. It's a little extreme but I wonder if putting a sacrificial anode somewhere is easier than isolating everything.

I don't know. Where I have simply used a stainless screw and washer on previous grills I have not seen any further sign of corrosion

Back