Is the Weber chimney TOO efficient?

Yup, this is what I do. Just get the bottom ones going hot enough and then pour them out into the kettle and spread them around. If there are few that aren't ready then I just make sure and put a couple hot coals next/on to the "cold" ones. I like doing it this way because I feel it brings the whole kettle "up to temp" before cooking. Maybe it makes no difference... but it makes me feel good. :)

Mickey,

So am I.

Start the chimney until your starter cube burns out and the burning coals are sustainable. Dump the coals and let them get hot after spreading them in the kettle. Then start cooking when they are hot enough.

Try it this way next time. Your coals will be as hot as you need them in very little time after dumping.

Jim

When the smoke on the chimney burns clear, it's ready to go. There will look like some raw charcoal on the top but thats fine. It will get going.

Clear smoke!!

I always wait til the chimney stops smoking, then dump the load. Only the bottom 2/3 of the coals are usually lit at this point. No problem.

I agree with waiting on the clear smoke. I dump them and spread them out over the coals from the previous cook. Leave the lid off, grab another beverage and they are all ready to go within 5 mins.

I own 4 of the Weber Chimney's, all others fall dreadfully short and usually fall apart after a season. I never let a full chimney go gray, what is the point? Am I only one who uses my Kingsford bags to start my chimney's? I usually have enough paper to get to the bottom of the bag.. nothing to throw away.

I prefer "Duraflame Firelighters" to Weber cubes. I break off a piece, don't use a whole one, not necessary. Once my present supply of the W cubes is gone, that's it.

If you want it really hot

Mickey,

So am I.

Start the chimney until your starter cube burns out and the burning coals are sustainable. Dump the coals and let them get hot after spreading them in the kettle. Then start cooking when they are hot enough.

Try it this way next time. Your coals will be as hot as you need them in very little time after dumping.

Jim

Jim, I do the same, no reason to have all the briquettes lit in the chimney. Dump and leave it uncovered for an addition 5 to 10 minutes and they're good to go. Then spread them out as needed. No charcoal taste at all. If it needs to be really hot, dump some addition lump charcoal on top of a chimney full of regular briquettes, wait ten minutes and it will sear the steaks at 500 F plus.

CraigW

I swear by those Weber lighter cubes, but for the past few months I've been getting by with using my used vegetable oil-soaked paper towels that I rub onto my grill grates right before cooking. You know how you scrub the grates clean with your grill brush, but then you 'clean' the grates one more time with some vegetable oil and paper towel? Well, that used paper towel does not go into the trash, but is left behind on my outdoor table. I just pick up one of those, light them up under my Weber chimney starter, and presto! A free chimney lighter! I get none of that newspaper ash/dust as the oil/paper towel burns clean.

I didn't see the paper towel technique posted so here you go....

take your average kitchen paper towel roll and rip off about 4 sheets (still connected in one sheet). Twist them the way your dad taught you to do with newspapers to start bonfires. Once all twisted up, roll them up like a donut/disc. Then apply some vegetable oil to the rolled up paper towels on both sides. Put this under your chimney and light it up. I have found this technique to be quite effective at producing enough sustained fuel to light up the coals more efficiently. I barely use my propane starter on the performer because this technique works better and tends to get the coals in the middle of the chimney to light up faster because the vegetable oil slows down the burn of the paper towels.

laters...

I own 4 of the Weber Chimney's, all others fall dreadfully short and usually fall apart after a season. I never let a full chimney go gray, what is the point? Am I only one who uses my Kingsford bags to start my chimney's? I usually have enough paper to get to the bottom of the bag.. nothing to throw away.

I do the same. I use 2 chimineys also about 2/3s full. I tear the bag in single layers of paper. Burns better that way.

Back