Is the water pan hitting the lump charcoal a problem?

Michael Waugh

Good Day Everybody;

I've just started smoking this month on an 18.5 WSM. To get me familiar with the whole process I've been making my way through the book "low and slow" with great results so far.

The question I have is about the water pan in the WSM is sitting on top of the lump charcoal. (The book asks that you use 3.5 - 3.75 starters full) is this anything more than an annoyance?

In a few weeks I'm planning on using the bottom grate for the first time, when the water pan rests on the lump it's so high that the bottom grate would be sitting on the pan, not the flange. Should I use less lump charcoal, or use the same amount but arrange the lump so there is more on the sides? (I'm in Toronto, so getting a Brinkmann charcoal pan shipped here would be expensive).

When I get more familiar with how to control everything I will try briquettes, but for now I'd like to stick with the lump.

Thanks for your help!

Michael,

Truth be told, the current Weber pan really wasn't a good idea, if you ask me. They simply went from starting with a pan used to make the Smokey Joe lid, to a pan used to make the SJ bowl. Well, Weber recommends using briquettes, but if you use Kingsford blue bag like most folks, you need more space to be able to stir the coals several hours into a long cook...not to mention the inability to heap up the fuel and wood for a long cook.
icon_confused.gif

Anyways, I don't recommend lump for overnighters and full cookers, but if that's what you want to use, fine. Just realize that you're never gonna be able to use as much as Gary Wiviott recommends since he has the old shallow pan. Pack it in, put the pieces in like a puzzle, shake the ring...just get as much in as possible and don't forget the wood.

If you use a weed torch to light, it'll be easier since you won't wonder if the added lit lump will touch the pan or not. Just add three more chunks of wood around the outside of the ring, pour the water in, and follow G. Wiviott's method from there.

I replaced my water "bowl" with a Brinkmann CHARCOAL pan that you can order from Brinkmann. I stress the CHARCOAL because they also sell a replacement water pan. But its too small to fit in the 18.5 - trust me, I know from experience. But that Brinkmann pan is shaped more like a pan instead of a bowl so it doesn't dip down so low and close to your fire. And it holds almost 2 gallons of water as well. Go to Brinkmann.net and order one up ASAP. I think its somewhere in the 12 to 14 dollar range. Remember - Brinkmann CHARCOAL pan.

Good to see another Canuck on board!

I'm a lump user and I haven't had any issues with using it for overnighters. I can easily get 12-14 hrs on a well packed ring. The key is just that... WELL PACKED. I also don't use water which helps get more out of your charcoal.

I have the old model so I really haven't run into your problem. That said, definitely concave your charcoal if needed. On anything less than 6 hrs I wouldn't worry about filling it right to the nuts.

Enjoy and let me us know if you ever find good prices on BBQ meats! Slim pickin's in these parts.

Thanks for the reply boys. I'm waiting on a call back from Brinkmann to see what the shipping damage will be to Toronto.

Scooter: I feel you on the meat prices. I think i'll hit Walmart for a few briskets tomorrow when I'm in Buffalo. If you have any hookups please pass them along!

My only tip is to watch the 1-2 times a year that the Loblaws chain sells whole and split shoulders. I can usually get the whole shoulders around 0.99/lb and butts for like 1.30/lb

Brisket is hard to find reasonably priced. If you know a few people it might we worth your while to look up a meat packer and buy a case.

Thanks again Scooter, if you ever need somebody to split a big order with let me know.

For anybody else in Canada who is thinking about getting a Brinkmann charcoal pan shipped to them I was quoted 23.10 + 13.95 for the pan shipped to Milton Ont.

I'm in TO too. We have Ribfest 5 minutes away this weekend.

Maybe I missed something, but are you using the Minion Method for cooking?

Regardless, as those have said, fill that ring until it busts. Briq's layer better than lump and don't fall through the bottom grate but you can still stuff enough to do a full cook depending on weather (wind is your enemy).

Enjoy.

dave:
i like the Wiviott book but right off the bat i noticed i always had way more lump than needed, so i did go too the brinkman pan.. got quite a fiasco going on here today got a 7lb brisket flat but it was select, tried too do it on the kettle and after 5hrs in the heat and meat only at 155 it is now in the house in the table top roaster.. i cried uncle.. NO idea how it will turn our i did try a marninate for the first time so we shall see.. l8ter Glenn in SC plenty of BUDS on Hand...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenn fleming:
dave:
... got quite a fiasco going on here today got a 7lb brisket flat but it was select, tried too do it on the kettle and after 5hrs in the heat and meat only at 155 it is now in the house in the table top roaster.. i cried uncle.. NO idea how it will turn our i did try a marninate for the first time so we shall see.. l8ter Glenn in SC plenty of BUDS on Hand... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn, in my experience and from what I read here and elsewhere, brisket flats should be cooked HH, especially smaller ones. No idea why they're so unpredictable, but I've only tried cooking ONE low-n-slow...and I won't do that again.

dave..

holy cow i had it in the oven too past 7pm!!! and part of it still did not get up too temp, but did hit 195 in the bigger section..it was not too bad but there was not enuff marblinbg in it and it never really realesed, bvut i had the best smoke ring ever!!! dunno, maybe it was the marninate i tried??? well i will keep on trucking tryiong too figure these things out but i really think u have too step up too Higher quality of meat too get that pull apart look... happy Independence Day!!!!! Glenn in SC

Back