Internal Rib Temp

One nice thing about barbequeing from a food safety point of view is that you tend to reach "done" about half way through the cook and the remaining hours are for "tender".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Bridgman:
One nice thing about barbequeing from a food safety point of view is that you tend to reach "done" about half way through the cook and the remaining hours are for "tender". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll second this statement. I never worry about temps in ribs, with butts and brisket I only use temp as an indicator that it's time to start checking for tenderness with a probe.

Scott, With the toothpick test you just poke the ribs with a toothpick and see how much resistance the meat gives, When it slides in and out easily they're done.

Quite right John.

And quite right Eric. What I look for is just when this occurs. In other words, I try checking when I know they will be shy of done to get a sense of the feel. Then I gauge from that how much longer I'll go before I check again. I am looking for the point right at the beginning of the spot where the probe slides in easily--the tiniest bit of resistance barely noticeable. Then I know that I have a little flexibility but that whatever I do (within reason; glaze and allow to sieze for a few minutes--or not) I won't end up with fall-off-the-bone ribs. They will be tender, tasty, and just require a bit of teeth-pull to release from the bone--my mark for 'done'.

For those who prefer more 'done' it's easier: When the probe slides between the bones like it it going through butter--voilà--done!

John-- It's worth noting here that undercooked foods, especially meats (except for burgers), is not usually the cause of food-borne illnesses because most people tend to overcook rather than undercook. Instead, much of the intances of FBIs tend to come from already-cooked foods--which can be more of a problem because so many people do not realize the protocols necessary to ensure safe food post-cook. The biggest culprits in this regard are foods that are cooked and then turned into cold items, e.g., chicken that is cooked for chicken salad, rice for sushi, etc., but, yes, also items that are cooked early and then cooled because the plan is to reheat later for service--like pulled pork. It is essential that foods cooked for later service are cooled quickly once rested--or once there surface temps drop to near the top of the 'danger zone' of 130. This is especially important if the food will be handled at all (like foods that will be made into cold salads or pork that will be pulled or meats that will be sliced), because the exposure to skin or to the errant cough or sneeze can cause problems down the road if the food is not correctly temp-controlled.

If you've not seen it, please read this post for more on pasteurization, cooling, and the importance of temps and temp control.

Kevin,

Thanks for the insight. I have always been concered with packaging my pulled pork and brisket after turn in at the comps. If I look back at it the pork sits out for a while while family and freinds pick at it to eat then we pack in freezer bags and it goes into a cooler. I need to start checking temps before the long ride home to make sure we are not in the zone.

Thanks

Rick, we carry a vac packer with us. When were done pickin (and grinnin) the meat goes into a vac bag and into the iced cooler.

Back