interesting findings: kettle indirect vs wsm smoke flavor

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
not to cause controversy but to throw out some data that may or may not help anyone. And I was curious lol

been experimenting with comparing the 22 kettle vs the 18 wsm , first cook I compared split chickens smoked with apple wood chunks with no water in either cooker with the kettle @ 325-350 and wsm @ 275 -300....my wsm struggles at higher temps but the kettle was easy to control....overall winner imo the kettle edged out the wsm, skin-flavor .... ( im going to experiment with removing the water pan in the wsm to see how much higher the temp goes and cook pbc-gateway smoker style)

round#2 baby backs, same rub etc etc similar size and brand.....apple wood- no water in either @ 250-275 in both ...... wsm edges out kettle, better smoke flavor....I think due to the fact the fire is closer to the food in the kettle, the air flow has to be more constricted to keep the temp down vs the wsm...the wsm also put out alot more bluish smoke vs the kettle.... kettle ribs were still very good...wsm slightly more sweeter flavor- kettle slightly more bitter

thought #2 was a fluke and did another comparison again today, except with water inside the kettle which may or may not allow me to open the vents slightly more....winner again: wsm so, this is just an opinion...someone else may find they prefer the kettle over the wsm...I personally like alot of smoke flavor, others may not

It is interesting how different cookers will create different flavors. Even my WSM vs your WSM will probably have different flavors based on how well the smokers are "seasoned". I agree that flow is definitely a big factor...... i wish there were a way to quantify differences, until then, all we can do is experiment and compare notes.

I need someone to loan me a WSM. I'd like to do a side by side test with my BGE and my pellet for ribs.

Edit. I'll share the ribs and provide beer or wine or scotch.

Beside the cookers, quality smoke wood with the right moisture content makes a huge difference along with good fuel IMO.

Back