Install Help

ok here are some pics of my board and terminal screen Can't seam to get the AVRUPDATE to work. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
You're going to have to be a liiiiitle more specific. As in, what is the output of the avrupdate command?

If the backlight does not light there is no reason to check the shift register yet. Step 1: avrupdate must work.

Bryan:
I entered the avrupdate command and than the terminal posted these 3 lines.

stopping linkmeter ok

linkmeter platform is bcm2708
AVR fuses ffda05 ok

starting linkmeter ok
root@OpenWert:/#

Bryan:
I entered the avrupdate command and than the terminal posted these 3 lines.

stopping linkmeter ok

linkmeter platform is bcm2708
AVR fuses ffda05 ok

starting linkmeter ok
root@OpenWert:/#
Ah ha! Perfect. See what's going on here is they have set the fuses kinda strange so HeaterMeter can't identify it properly. You're going to have to type this admittedly complicated command to get them switched around and then run avrupdate again:
Code:
hmdude -P/dev/spidev0.0 -U hfuse:w:0xd7
After that run `avrupdate` again and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the pictures, it definitely makes it easier to see what's happening. The command needs to be typed exactly as I have it. Case-sensitive. with upper case P and U where I have them.

Thanks for the pictures, it definitely makes it easier to see what's happening. The command needs to be typed exactly as I have it. Case-sensitive. with upper case P and U where I have them.

Ok, I was able to view the address on my router and log into my HM than I updated the firmware vie the web.
It powered and I was also able to get my wifi set up.
Now I'm in the process of learning how to config all of the settings.
My maverick pit probe shows 10 degrees @ 100% & my trimester shows 289 degrees.
Hopefully their is a wiki on setting things up.
I want to thank you for your help.

https://flic.kr/p/obLveC

Sam

Mine gives me this when I type avrupdate:
Stopping LinkMeter OK

LinkMeter platform is BCM2708
AVR fuses ERROR

Starting LinkMeter OK

Mine gives me this when I type avrupdate:
Stopping LinkMeter OK

LinkMeter platform is BCM2708
AVR fuses ERROR

Starting LinkMeter OK
Alright, this indicates a hardware problem. With the device powered up, check between GND and VCC on the FTDI connector with a multimeter. You should get 3.3V +/-0.1V. If that checks out check GND vs:
-- the microcontroller pin above the M in heatermeter
-- the microcontroller below the last e in heatermeter
-- the bottom right pin on the microcontroller

All of these should read the same as the VCC connector. If all that checks out, you've got a problem with the connection between the Pi and the HeaterMeter, which there's not really a good way to test without an oscilloscope. (Or the microcontroller chip isn't seated in the socket properly)

Joel:
I had the same problem. I was trying to do everything form the console with monitor connected to the Rpi. I went through windows.
Plugged a network cable into the Rpi network port than I loged into my router and was able to see the address of the Rpi. It was different than the stock 192.168.200.1.
Once i determined what that was I entered it in a web browser and I was able to get to the HM web interface.
Once I logged in I was able go to the firmware tab and update the firmware via the web selection using the latest version.
once that was done it updated like Bryan showed in his post on page 2.
Hope this helps.

Sam

Alright, this indicates a hardware problem. With the device powered up, check between GND and VCC on the FTDI connector with a multimeter. You should get 3.3V +/-0.1V. If that checks out check GND vs:
-- the microcontroller pin above the M in heatermeter
-- the microcontroller below the last e in heatermeter
-- the bottom right pin on the microcontroller

All of these should read the same as the VCC connector. If all that checks out, you've got a problem with the connection between the Pi and the HeaterMeter, which there's not really a good way to test without an oscilloscope. (Or the microcontroller chip isn't seated in the socket properly)

GRD to Vcc on the 74HC595 chip is 3.1v
ground to pin above M = 3.99v
ground to pin below last e = 3.99v
bottom right pin = 1.2v

I'm not sure what happened but I can connect to it.
https://flic.kr/p/obY7S9

GRD to Vcc on the 74HC595 chip is 3.1v
ground to pin above M = 3.99v
ground to pin below last e = 3.99v
bottom right pin = 1.2v
Yeah you've got something wrong in your soldering or components. These should all be 3.3V or at absolute worst case identical. You're never going to be able to flash the AVR firmware (Fuses ERROR) until you have a working piece of hardware. All this stuff can (and definitely should be, on account of there's something not right) be troubleshot without the Pi attached to prevent accidental damage to it.

It isn't the ATmega, it is something else (unless of course something else has also damaged the ATmega).

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I messed up the board beyond repair desoldering the chip. Might have to scrap this one and work on the other 2 boards that came in the order.

Did you select the correct probe presets for your type of probes from the configuration page? If they are ET-732s are the pushed in too far?

I haven't connected the LCD yet. I removed it from the first board and haven't put it on the new board yet. There are some pins that I need to desolder first so I can put it on the new board. There are pins on the other side of the LCD board. Can the LCD be turned the other way so I can solder it on with fresh connections?

The probes I'm using are from the Maverick Redi Chek Dual Probe remote Thermometer. It looks like the one linked here. Should I get specifically the Maverick probes listed in the Wiki or will these work?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick-Redi-Chek-Dual-Probe-Remote-Thermometer/17167110#ProductDetail

Now I've lost connection with the board. I'm connected through the webpage but the configuration page says there is no connection to the board. It shows the following:

No Communication
HeaterMeter serial communication can not be established. Configuration requires bidirectional serial operation. Possible causes of failure:
No HeaterMeter board attached
No HeaterMeter (AVR) firmware installed. See AVR Firmware
Incorrect baud rate in /etc/config/lucid
Hardware malfunction

I've updated the AVR firmware with v4.x July 29 2014 version. It says that update was successful but still no connection.

Well you don't want to update the AVR firmware beyond release v11. The snapshot you installed is incompatible with the v11 linkmeter software running on the Pi (unless you update to the snapshot linkmeter but don't do that). Just take it back to releases/11 and it should be fine.

I've only tested with the probes listed in the wiki. Almost every probe model is different so they're not interchangable. Once you're back on v11 AVR firmware, try going to the configuration page and selecting ET-732 probe preset and see if it works. If not, then they are probably not identical to either of the known maverick probe types so you'd have to do your own coefficient calculation (not easy without at least one known probe).

Back