Injecting Turkey

Frank Licata

TVWBB Fan
Anyone ever tried injecting turkey as aposed to brining it. The last couple thanksgivings I have brined but never njected turkey. I inject and never brine pork butts and I think they come out better. Thoughts and experiences anyone like to share?

I never tried injecting but now that you mention it......
This maybe something I can do this year. I'm going to watch this thread and see if other members have done this...

I started injecting them when I was deep frying them. Have cooked a couple on the performer I used to have access to and always injected them also,very happy with the results every time.

Thanks Bear I will definetly try injecting this year. Gander mountain in this neck of the woods has 4 different injecting flavors. Can't wait to try em out.

I started injecting them when I was deep frying them. Have cooked a couple on the performer I used to have access to and always injected them also,very happy with the results every time.

Bear,
You use a store bought injection or homemade?

Tony I have done both,sometimes i just inject with melted butter and hot sauce(more butter than hot sauce).

No problem Tony. Another way I like to do is to mix cajun seasoning and melted butter,you just have to make sure the seasoning is small enough to no clog the needle.

Frank,
Similar to what Bear indicated, I started injecting my turkey when frying them. Since then, that's what I've stuck to. I like the Tony Chachere's Creole Butter Injection personally. When you slice the breast meat after cooking, you can just see the turkey juices & creole butter oozing from the meat ... Super-moist & great flavor!

We started using Butcher's Bird Booster injections last year and have been very pleased. We actually had requests to serve turkey at wedding dinners after they had tasted some.

That is a very good choice for a store bought injection.

Frank,
Similar to what Bear indicated, I started injecting my turkey when frying them. Since then, that's what I've stuck to. I like the Tony Chachere's Creole Butter Injection personally. When you slice the breast meat after cooking, you can just see the turkey juices & creole butter oozing from the meat ... Super-moist & great flavor!

For the last several years I have cooked two Turkeys. One has always been a traditional oven roasted which I always brine with citrus and herbs. The other one has changed from smoked, rotisserie, or in my oil less fryer. I always inject these. I inject several days in advance of the cook to allow the skin to dry in the frig and the injection to work its way around the bird.

Frank I have been injecting turkeys for a while now and a simple favorite of mine is 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 cup of stalk and 2 teaspoons of Simon & Garfunkel rub. There are lots of injections you can make on your own but butter and stalk are my main ingredients. I have also used cranberry wine but I like the compound butter mixture better. Simon & Garfunkel is one of Meathead's recipes found at Amazingribs.com

I've done the "Cajun injection" stuff you get in the store. And it came out pretty good. This year I'm going to inject it with "knorr" chicken stock. I've used it on chicken and it's very good.

We started using Butcher's Bird Booster injections last year and have been very pleased. We actually had requests to serve turkey at wedding dinners after they had tasted some.

Wow. Has bird booster been out that long? Which one have you used?

Frank I have been injecting turkeys for a while now and a simple favorite of mine is 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 cup of stalk and 2 teaspoons of Simon & Garfunkel rub. There are lots of injections you can make on your own but butter and stalk are my main ingredients. I have also used cranberry wine but I like the compound butter mixture better. Simon & Garfunkel is one of Meathead's recipes found at Amazingribs.com

Two questions:

1. What is stalk?

2. Isn't it bad to inject warm stuff into a bird?

Alan F I think stalk was meant to be stock. The melted butter does not have to be hot,just get it melted and let it sit until it gets the temp you want but is still liquid.

Alan F I think stalk was meant to be stock. The melted butter does not have to be hot,just get it melted and let it sit until it gets the temp you want but is still liquid.

Thanks Bear,

I use chicken stock and I prefer salted butter. The liquid is not hot but warm enough to keep the butter from solidifying. I do simmer beforehand so the seasonings get happy and then let it cool. Usually a few seconds in the microwave to liquify and you're ready to go. I do it just before I place the bird in the kettle so it does not sit any length of time. It gives great results. I especially like the drumsticks, very moist and tender.

I've always opted to brine the bird and have realized great results. That being said, I've always wanted do inject as well. Would it be overkill to brine AND inject? Or is the rule of thumb to do one or the other?

Back