Informal Poll: When to rub pork butt?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Do you rub a pork butt the evening before cooking, several hours before cooking, or just before you light the coals?

For any of these options, do you apply another light sprinkle just before putting the meat into the WSM?

Rita

I just put 2 butts on 1/2 hour ago. I rub them down while the WSM is getting to temps. If I am smoking for people that like a lot of rub flavor on the bark, I will add rub later in the smoke just after I spray apple juice.

Big cuts can take long rubs, but in competition we get a few hours and you can make that work.
Jim

I salt the butt, make the rub, light the coals, apply the rub. As what I've applied gets moister I apply a bit more over it; then the coals are ready and it's off to the cooker.

I rub 30 minutes or so prior, start the chimney, add a little more just before going out, spread the coals, throw the meat on, set the Guru and close her up. Done!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

It all depends on how much time I have. I've done it the night before and just before lighting my chimmney. I really don't think there's a bad way.

MikeZ

I have tried all the ways myself as well with little if any difference in taste or appearance. If I had to pick a favorite it would be trim, clean, rub, inject and wrap in clearwrap about 12 hours before cooking and hold in fridge or cooler of ice, that's how I do it at competitions.

Randy

I have cooked two butts at once before - one that I rubbed approx. 12 hours before cook, and one that I rubbed within 30 minutes of cook.

My group of guests could not taste a difference.

Since then, I just rub after I light my chimney.

From a practical perspective, I start the fire and then rub. It is an issue of how much time I have. If your goal is more flavor, one can inject or add rub post cook. My choice is to add rub after I pull. This may not be the best but it works for me.

Back