Info on Rib Racks

Andy Kay

TVWBB Member
I would like to know the best rib rack for baby backs using the 18 1/2" WSM. Also how many racks can be cooked using both grates.

Thanks
Andy

I have a weber rib rack and it holds four racks nicely. There may be better and larger racks but this one was handy and seems to clean up and has not rusted.

Mike

Thanks for your replies Dave and Mike.
Dave the baby backs I get from Costco seem to be larger(longer) than the ones shown. Is that a problem? I assume the main point is to not let the ribs touch.

Thanks again

Andy

I use a Brinkmann rack with 6 slots. I've used it to make BBs and it works good. I cut mine in half and with 6 slots I was able to get 3 BB slabs (the ones from Costco) on with no problem.

What Russ said^^^. I'm smoking three slabs of St. Louis ribs today the same way: six halfs in a six slot rack (Charcoal Companion) on the top grate, (tips on the bottom rack over the pan). I'll check midcook and probably need to rotate the inner and outer rack positions.

Rolling and skewering works well too though. That's the only way I smoke full-length slabs on my 18.5" wsm.

Hi Andy - i've had weber and brinkman racks and they do work. I found them tougher to use with the ribs i usually buy at Costco as the ribs are thicker.

what i do now is just roll them up and hold with a skewer. they cook very well and there's no rack to bother cleaning. doing it this way allows me to still use my kettle and cook 4-6 racks. give it a shot before you buy racks. If i had known better i wouldn't have spent the money or time / effort with the racks.

mike

I foil my ribs in apple juice mixture for the last 90 mins. I have read the ribs hold there shape if they are rolled. Will this cause a problem?

Thanks
Andy

...If you think it does. I've rolled and skewered and that's fine, but today my three St. Louis slabs cut into halves for my Charcoal Companion 6 slot rack turned out FINE, I must say. About 2/3rds through the cook I swapped the outer positions with a couple of the inner half slabs, and most of the half slabs came off the cooker at about the same time, cooked very evenly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
Check out this set up. Going to try it tomorrow. It's about 1/3rd down the page:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_an..._mountain_setup.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never been able to figure out why you'd use a rack like that over just rolling and skewering. Either way the ribs aren't going to lay flat when it comes to glazing or dipping in a bath. Right?

IMHO, the four slab racks already mentioned that have wide slots are the best way to go for thick loinbacks, 1/2 slab to a slot, or four slabs to a cook. My six slot is just fine for st. louis ribs, but not quite enough space for thick loinbacks or full spares.

For max capacity and staying out of the hot zone on a 18.5" though, rolling and skewering wins, hands down.

Back