Indy restaurant recommendations?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
In 4 weeks I'm going to have some free time and am planning on taking a quick road trip to Indianapolis to visit Shapiro's Delicatessen, Steer-In, and Gray Bros. Cafeteria. A friend has been prodding me to visit Shapiro's and Gray's for years and this looks to be as good a time as any. Are there any other places, barbecue or not, that would be worth trying to fit into my schedule? My current plan is to have Friday night dinner at Gray's, Saturday breakfast at Shapiro's (Corned beef and pastrami at 9am? Heck yeah!) and then lunch at Steer-In.

My route will generally follow I-39 and I-74 on Friday and possibly US-52, US-24 or some IL state roads, and I-39 again on Saturday and maybe Sunday, so I'm also open to suggestions for these areas.

Thanks!

I do not have fond childhood memories of liver so I haven't had it in probably close to 50 years, but if someone at Shapiro's offers me a free taste I won't turn it down!

FWIW, I'm planning on having fried chicken, chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans at Gray's. Corned beef half sandwich and pastrami half sandwich (and building my own combo) at Shapiro's, and the 2-piece dark fried chicken dinner with mp&g and green beans at Steer-In. I'll have a cooler and Gladware containers for leftovers.

I do not have fond childhood memories of liver so I haven't had it in probably close to 50 years, but if someone at Shapiro's offers me a free taste I won't turn it down!

FWIW, I'm planning on having fried chicken, chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans at Gray's. Corned beef half sandwich and pastrami half sandwich (and building my own combo) at Shapiro's, and the 2-piece dark fried chicken dinner with mp&g and green beans at Steer-In. I'll have a cooler and Gladware containers for leftovers.
You just need to have some really good liver, and chicken, not beef.

My goto sando used to be the CBP. Corned beef, brisket and pastrami as a triple decker. No cheese and no Russian dressing. Only spicy deli mustard all on seedless rye.

I’m envious of your trip. Post pics so we can all live vicariously.

In 4 weeks I'm going to have some free time and am planning on taking a quick road trip to Indianapolis to visit Shapiro's Delicatessen, Steer-In, and Gray Bros. Cafeteria. A friend has been prodding me to visit Shapiro's and Gray's for years and this looks to be as good a time as any. Are there any other places, barbecue or not, that would be worth trying to fit into my schedule? My current plan is to have Friday night dinner at Gray's, Saturday breakfast at Shapiro's (Corned beef and pastrami at 9am? Heck yeah!) and then lunch at Steer-In.

My route will generally follow I-39 and I-74 on Friday and possibly US-52, US-24 or some IL state roads, and I-39 again on Saturday and maybe Sunday, so I'm also open to suggestions for these areas.

Thanks!

I’ve only been to Indy once, so by no means am I an expert. And was only in town for maybe three hours…

The Weber Grill was pretty decent. The trip was for a Sequoia so it was Weber-focused to begin, but it was cool. We actually had to wait for it to open.

Cool to see they cook on essentially stainless Ranch kettles, but man the shrimp was GOOD. Damn good. I believe I had the New York strip with shrimp, she had the cedar plank salmon and it was tasty as well.

Fully intend on going back and seeing what else Indy has to offer

Back