I'm gonna leave it in there till it burns up, or gets tender

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Doing an 11.5# Packer, HH.
It's a challenging day to cook, cool, windy. I have a great windbreak though.
Full ring of RO Lump, empty foiled pan, some Hickory and Oak wood.
Rubbed with Blues Hog, a little foil on the ends to protect them.
On @ 9:25a, current temp around 360°.
I've always pulled too soon, so I'm gonna 'waste' this one if I have to. I'm NOT gonna pull it till it's probe tender!

DSC00513.JPG

2.25 hrs in, separated the point from the flat (note to self: next time, be sure to mark or pre-separate the point, this time was a shot in the dark, and that's putting it mildly!) and foiled the flat.

Here's what happens when you lose track of a good knife and the dog gets a hold of it.

DSC00515.JPG

Yep, I'm lucky.
Having trouble right now with smoker temps.
Added the remainder of the bag of lump, lit the remainder of a bag of Blue K and added that, stirred, tapped, poked, and still not getting above ~300.
I can finish in the stove if necessary, but I hate to.

Originally posted by george curtis:
anyone do the mod that puts another vent on the lid ? i seem to remember that this really helped.
Glen W. and Mark E. show theirs here
This is mine.
DSCN3240.JPG

Got the temps up around 370°, looking good. Into my 2nd 40, whoa!
Flat is off and in the oven resting. Burnt ends are still on.
Gonna have slaw, Bush's Grillin' Beans and homemade French Fries with it all.
Stay tuned.

(If you knew how hard it was to type this, you'd thank me!)

Interesting that you separated the point from the flat. Normally I don't separate them until after the rest in foil. Even the High Heaters that I do I won't separate until "it's done"

When making burnt ends I finish the brisket then cook the end additional. Normally brisket is about 6 hours for me high heat and 8 hours if I foil at 190 when low and slow. Foil every time, more because it's the routine which makes me feel that I get a tender outcome with a more predictable time frame. Always allow for a 2 hour rest in cooler as buffer too.

Thanks for the input Brad!

Just about time to pull the burnt ends!
The flat is resting in the oven, which is off.
Need to heat up some "Bush's Grillin' Beans" and make some homemade french fries. Got the slaw in the fridge.

Pictures to follow.

DSC00516.JPG

This was THE...MOST...TENDER...Brisket I've ever smoked. It fell apart, and there was no part of what I ate that was chewy, except for a few of the burnt ends that were...burnt.
icon_smile.gif

BTW, I want to thank Kevin Kruger for all the input he has given us all, especially on HH Briskets. Much respect, Kevin!

I think I have arrived!

Man, I was thinking about stopping and getting a brisket earlier today. That pic sure makes me wish I did. I hope it was good as it looks, as my mouth is watering.

Jeff,
It was. I've just come from the kitchen, where I sliced up the leftovers, and ate the leftover fries.
Got a couple of plates to take to work tomorrow for my best bud, and Manager. (Get your Brownie points while they're hot!)

Congrats on a great brisket! I do HH only for briskets after seeing how easy it really is. I don't prop the charcoal door for higher temps, I offset the lid just slightly. This allows all the heat/smoke to reach the meat and not out the door.

Here's the analysis:
*As noted up thread, gotta somehow make it a no-brainer to separate the point when the time comes.

*The Burnt Ends were mostly...burnt. The reason is the same as above...I wasn't sure where the point was on this one, and what I cut off wasn't a lot. However, I still went ahead and cooked it another 2 hours, then cubed, cooked another 2 hours. WAY TOO MUCH HEAT for the small amount of meat that it was. Some of 'em were great, some were like eating charcoal. Not that I've ever eaten charcoal!
icon_smile.gif

*It took way too long to get the Burnt Ends done. I may forgo them in the future, and save the point for chili.

I'm planning on cooking Pulled Pork and Brisket for a picnic this spring, anticipating around 30 people (at this time).
That will probably mean 2 Briskets. Gotta think about just doing the flats.

Back