If you had a gasser and a wsm......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Lea

TVWBB Super Fan
Which grill/cooker would you use for different cuts of meat? I am looking for unbiased input. I know most of you probably already have the wsm. I am considering one but I also have the summit platinum d4.

After investing as much as I have, I am not going to discard using the gasser. Other than the convience of cooking time, are there other advantages to using the gasser? I was thinking steaks would be a better candidate for the gasser. Any others that come to mind?

Rick

I have a gasser, a WSM and a couple of kettles - mostly I use the gasser (side burner) to light my chimney
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The gasser is for thin, lean cuts of meat & fish, and when you only have 15 minutes to cook. And to light the chimney.

The WSM is for real, slow BBQ.

Every back patio should have both.
icon_smile.gif

I have a Weber Gasser, WSM (2), 22" Kettle, and the 18.5" Smokey Joe Platinum. Burgers dogs, sausage, pizza on the gasser. Steaks, Tri-Tips, Roadside chicken over charcoal on the grills, burgers also. The WSM handles all the low and slow stuff, also Tri-Tips, Prime Rib, Smoked chickens, and turkeys, baked beans, taters. Also hotdogs and sauasges for my lunch when doing a long cook.

There isn't a single cut of meat that is better on the gasser. They are more convenient than charcoal, but charcoal wins out on flavor for each and every cut of meat. If all I had was a gasser and a WSM, I would cook everything on the WSM, setting it up like a grill with the middle removed to cook steaks.

I'm always doing at least 30 minutes of prep time for every meal, so for me, the time that it takes for the chimney to light isn't a problem.

Kettle or in this case gasser - Chicken, pizza, steaks, pork tenderloin, pork chops, seafood, hamburgers, sirloin tip, and sausage

WSM - Pork Shoulder, brisket, meatloaf, salmon (I guess that's seafood but what the heck!), chuck roll etc......

Clark

I'd cook as much as I could on the WSM (it can be set up as a grill as mentioned) and only use the gasser when I didn't have the time to fire up the WSM.

I have a Weber gasser 3 WSMs, a Performer and a couple of SJs. My gasser gets more use than any of them. For high heat, direct grilling I use the gasser. Performer for indirect grilling and WSMs for low/slow. I'm sure the convenience of the gasser on a screen porch, etc has a lot to do with its use, but I've just not found that drastic difference in grilling for short, high heat cooks over charcoal.

Paul

Thanks Paul,
I am really on the fence about this one. Cost isn't even an issue. Just want to make sure the wsm is something I will use. Currently, about 90% of my meals are cooked in an hour or less. I too can't taste the difference between charcoal and gas but the low and slow method might change my mind all together.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick lea:
Thanks Paul,
I am really on the fence about this one. Cost isn't even an issue. Just want to make sure the wsm is something I will use. Currently, about 90% of my meals are cooked in an hour or less. I too can't taste the difference between charcoal and gas but the low and slow method might change my mind all together.

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a gasser and use it for most of my grilling. I would get a weber kettle if I thought charcoal was that much better. The WSM is a completely different utensil. It's for cooking low and slow. You may not use it all that much, but when you do, you'll really be happy with it.

I use my wsm for ribs, pulled pork, chuck roasts and sometimes brisket. I don't eat those types of meat frequently, therefore, I don't use my wsm frequently - but when I do, I'm glad I have it.

I don't use the power miter saw I have very often either, but I have one and when I need it, I'm glad I have it. I don't use a my large snow thrower very often (I have a small one too), but when that big snow comes, I'm glad I have it. I don't use my sledge hammer very often, but when I really need to persuade something to move, I'm glad I have it. For me, the wsm is very much like that - I don't use it often, but when I want to cook something low and slow, I'm glad I have it.

Rick

What Jerry says is exactly right. The WSM is not comparable to a gasser or a kettle. It will do special things , in a special way, like nothing else, ime.

If i could have only one cooker, it would be the WSM - it can cover every kind of cook. If I could have only two, it would be my WSM and my gasser - honestly, that would cover it all for me (hope my wife doesn't read this
icon_smile.gif
). You will enjoy a WSM if you get one.

Paul

I have both. Another good thing about the gasser is that the wife can fire it up before I get home and have some of the quick cook stuff done when I get home. Just turn the knobs and click and she's ready to go.

As everyone else said.. I use the gasser for grilling and the WSM for smoking. The gasser gets used mostly during the week, and the WSM on Sundays.

I honestly don't have time to fiddle with lighting a fire for 4 burgers. When I do a smoke, I plan on spending all day fiddling around the house, so I do my long lo&slo cooks then.

To my knowledge, the Weber restaurants use only charcoal grills (Ranch Kettles). Considering they have access to some of the finest grills available (charcoal or gas), this should tell you something.

Like many others who have replied, I use my WSM for low and slow and SJ platinum or 22" kettle for when I have time to enjoy cooking over charcoal. I have an old gasser (not a Weber unfortunately) that gets used when time is a factor.

I don't have a gasser and honestly, I don't see the point. it's essentially an outdoor oven.

I use my WSM for grilling and smoking. If I don't have time to do charcoal, I eat something else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete B:
I don't have a gasser and honestly, I don't see the point. it's essentially an outdoor oven.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's so not true, IMO. Not sure about your oven but in my home oven I sure can't heat it up to over 650 degrees and I sure don't throw my steaks or burgers on the oven racks and have the grease and juice drip down onto the oven heating element. I can assure you that my Weber Gasser allbeit not as good as cooking over charcaol on one of my Weber Kettles can produce a steak or burger far superior to what you could do in a oven. Also a chunk of wood on one of the flavorizer bars does wonders.
icon_wink.gif
Gasser's get a bag rap and for the most part is undeserved. JMO.
icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Typo changed in to is.

I agree with Bryan. When was the last time you cooked restaurant-style steaks in your oven? When was the last time you added wood chunks to your oven to create a gentle smoky flavor? When was the last time you set up your oven rotisserie to let whole chickens baste in their own juices?

I don't think so.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick lea:
I agree with Bryan. When was the last time you cooked restaurant-style steaks in your oven? When was the last time you added wood chunks to your oven to create a gentle smoky flavor? When was the last time you set up your oven rotisserie to let whole chickens baste in their own juices?

I don't think so.

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And I sure as He!! don't get no charr from the oven or broiler like I do from my 9 burner Mac Daddy Weber Gasser with the rotiss.
icon_biggrin.gif

I, of course, have a WSM as well as a Weber gasser and a 20-year-old Smokey Joe....and I enjoy cooking with each one. I think the gasser does as good a job as the WSM/Smokey Joe with chicken, steaks and pork chops. In fact last weekend I cooked port chops on the Smokey Joe and corn on the cob on the gasser.

Love 'em all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back