IBCA/Half Chicken Tips

Max

TVWBB Member
I want to get into IBCA Comps.

I am confident in my Brisket and Ribs, but I am scared ****less with this half of a whole chicken rule.

Do you guys try to scrape the fat off? Obviously, I want to brine it....but is there any other tips?

I want to try with a home made rub first and then then try the Slap Yo Daddy chicken comp rub. Everybody knows how well harry did in 2012 with it.

Anyways, just looking for any advice from some guys that have been there before...

Thank you!

Scraping off the fat on a half chicken is tough. You can get to the fat on the breast fairly easily, but I found the thigh to be a bit tougher. Take a look a free range chickens, as they tend to have a less fat beneath the skin. They are a little smaller in general, but have a little more flavor.

I agree w/D. Logan, choose a better grade of chicken w/out too much fat. Cook it hotter and remember in IBCA judges sample everything with cheap plastic forks and knifes. So at a minimum they should be able to slice through it w/out the skin coming off, so it doesn't have to be bite through or overly crispy. All your turn ins should be a little extra tender too.

Back