I will just leave this here

Paul,
I am glad you got that one and have the resources to go all out on restoring. It will, I am sure, be a stunning beauty! The firebox design is the same as my 1st generation Summit. I am sure you will disassemble the aluminum end pieces from the front and back center sections made of porcelain coated steel.

Media blasting the end pieces will be the classy way to go, while the center parts are like cleaning a Genesis hood to bring back the porcelain shine. I replaced the old bolts with stainless. If it is like my Summit, there will be RTV helping to make a secure contact between the end pieces and the porcelain centers. You will have to get all that off and get a new tube to put it back together.

IMG_4503.jpeg
IMG_4504.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg

Finally, you can see that just like @LMichaels noted, while the inside of the aluminum side pieces are bare, the top part that shows (and is not inside the cooking area) is painted black.

My picture includes the stainless reinforcement panels I had made applied to the porcelain front and back. Based on the appearance of your new Flat-Top, I doubt you will need to do that.

Not having your budget to redo my Flat-Top, it won’t look like yours, but I am going to do my best this summer to give it a new lease on life. And it will definitely see action! I even have a party hat picked out to wear while grilling on it!

IMG_4498.jpeg

Last thing. You can get half griddles that fit the current Spirit 300 that will substitute for a single grate. That is how the Flat-Top originally came. However, if you get the Crafted Kitchen insert designed for the Spirit 300, you could use any of the CK accessories including the larger griddle that will cover almost 3/4 of the grill.

IMG_2879.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a MHP. The guy who came earlier this week to service my refrigerator is from Mashpee, and he told me he collects them.
I will try to get hold of him....

It's a MHP. The guy who came earlier this week to service my refrigerator is from Mashpee, and he told me he collects them.
I will try to get hold of him....
I have no luck selling in Central Mass. Nice grills and well built - stainless and aluminum. No brand name recognition like Weber.

They sell on the South Shore, Cape Cod, Narragansett Bay, etc from what I understand.

LOL, I participated in that discussion and don't even remember it.
I am a Yuengling man myself, but these Sam Adams grills show up for sale from time to time around here- I don’t believe they are desirable though unless you are a Sam Adams fan though.

There is a place called The Burn Shop that makes all minds of custom carbon steel grates. They are highly regarded by PK Grill fans, but that shop can make just about any size or shape.

Paul,
I am glad you got that one and have the resources to go all out on restoring. It will, I am sure, be a stunning beauty! The firebox design is the same as my 1st generation Summit. I am sure you will disassemble the aluminum end pieces from the front and back center sections made of porcelain coated steel.

Media blasting the end pieces will be the classy way to go, while the center parts are like cleaning a Genesis hood to bring back the porcelain shine. I replaced the old bolts with stainless. If it is like my Summit, there will be RTV helping to make a secure contact between the end pieces and the porcelain centers. You will have to get all that off and get a new tube to put it back together.

View attachment 86243
View attachment 86244
View attachment 86239

Finally, you can see that just like @LMichaels noted, while the inside of the aluminum side pieces are bare, the top part that shows (and is not inside the cooking area) is painted black.

My picture includes the stainless reinforcement panels I had made applied to the porcelain front and back. Based on the appearance of your new Flat-Top, I doubt you will need to do that.

Not having your budget to redo my Flat-Top, it won’t look like yours, but I am going to do my best this summer to give it a new lease on life. And it will definitely see action! I even have a party hat picked out to wear while grilling on it!

View attachment 86240

Last thing. You can get half griddles that fit the current Spirit 300 that will substitute for a single grate. That is how the Flat-Top originally came. However, if you get the Crafted Kitchen insert designed for the Spirit 300, you could use any of the CK accessories including the larger griddle that will cover almost 3/4 of the grill.

View attachment 86241
View attachment 86242
John, thanks for your detailed response and kind words. I did think long and hard before splurging big money on the flat top but decided that another may not show up again any time soon.

The grill has been completely stripped, resprayed and reassembled. I am waiting on a new set of wheels before posting finished job.

All was in order except the wheels needed replacing and the 2 inch castors could do with replacing despite still being functional. My belief is that these castors are no longer available, if anyone knows and different please advise.

The grill did not come with a CI griddle but as i have the crafted frame and the range of crafted accessories this will be the most likely configuration when i eventually get to use it!

The “faded” control panel is the only real downside tbh, whatever one does it seems impossible to improve on those blemishes.

I am still staggered at the sheer weight of the 9mm rod grates, they took some real cleaning this morning!!

Despite it being a fairly rare and sought after model I can sort of understand why it was not so popular in the US, I image trying to cook consistently in windy conditions would be a challenge! Maybe this is when one breaks out the GA style lids!!

Thanks again, Paul

PS i will bring it to your summer bash!! 😂

Paul, you're done already? That was fast! It's a shame about the control panel being faded. It looked pretty good in the pictures from the ad. I suppose you could always track down a parts grill summit for it.

Paul, you're done already? That was fast! It's a shame about the control panel being faded. It looked pretty good in the pictures from the ad. I suppose you could always track down a parts grill summit for it.
Steve, i dont hang about! I will keep an eye out for a better panel ! Im only bothered due to what I paid, condition is excellent for age overall. Sneak peak lolIMG_0072.jpeg

Back