I WANT TO OPEN MY OWN BBQ JOINT

Jason,
Get a copy of Anthony Bourdain's book "Kitchen Confidential" and read his chapter on So you want to open your own restaurant. Good luck, start small and then grow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M D Baldwin:
Jason,
Get a copy of Anthony Bourdain's book "Kitchen Confidential" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great book...and scary enough to make me NEVER want to open a restaurant.

I loved the book. I found it funny and familiar (if I didn't work with--or hire--at least a few of the people Tony did I'd be surprised!). But if one comes away from it thinking it's 'scary' then the restaurant biz is not for you. It is not dissimilar from friends and acquaintances who, from time to time, have mentioned getting into the business but lament all the time involved. I tell them all: If that's what you think about then it's not for you.

Nor is it enough to love cooking--you have to love the business of food, the business of service. You have to have passion for the whole shebang, be it for a joint in the woods or a couple millon-dollar hotspot on the boulevard.

If you love to cook but not so much the business work on the line in a kitchen. If you love to serve but not so much the business work on the floor or at the bar. If you love to coordinate others but not the business work FOH in one postition or another and learn management. And if you just love food patronize your favorite establishments. (If my project develops I'll be hiring--and all will be welcome to come and eat!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
(If my project develops I'll be hiring--and all will be welcome to come and eat!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where should I submit my application? My only formal food service work was for a pizza and sandwich shop for some mob guys in Pittsburgh. But I have Burning Man, a couple bbq comp trophies and ribbons, ran a theater company and now a web company, I am good learner and a very hard worker...

icon_smile.gif

Just think about it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
if one comes away from it thinking it's 'scary' then the restaurant biz is not for you.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's one of the lessons I took away from the book.

Some of the others include:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Don't eat seafood from the Sunday brunch buffet.
<LI>Don't give your waiter a hard time.
<LI>Don't order your beef filet cooked well done.
<LI>Don't trust your new bride with the chef.
[/list]

Good ones!

Bryan-- Though I hire experience I also hire people with passion for the biz. There are better than a dozen out there around the country who, once upon a time, had the cojones to walk into my kitchen and ask for a job, green as grass though they were. But their passion was palpable, their desire to learn as well. And so I hired them on, taught them in rounds, and there is nary the one who isn't still in the business. So--if you have a passion...

I ate at the Smokey Bones in Roswell, GA, and was satisfied with my meals though they may not have been authentic bbq.

Jason - If you want it you can make it happen -but as with any business make sure there is a need that you can fill. It might just not be bbq but delivery bbq or late night bbq or lunchtime quick-service bbq or...who knows - find a really specific niche that you can claim and pursue it.

The advice Scott gave about getting your paperwork/books in place from the get go is some of the best advice you will ever get about self-employment. I wish I had gotten that advice many years ago and not had to learn the hard way. (I naively thought art and commerce did not mix - as long as I was good at the art then, I reasoned, the commerce would just work itself out...how embarrassing.)

Bryan--...So--if you have a passion...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tell me where I have to be, and on what day to interview.
icon_smile.gif

Well--it got a baby step farther today. Nothing in fact is happening with the spot I have my eye on. It seems the owner is going to want in the neighborhood of 17K/month (not including utilities nor equipment--which needs to be leased or purchased separately). I'm not sure where I'm at with that yet. I decided I wasn't going to think about it too much till I actually sat down and ran some numbers--that'll be in the next few days. That's a hefty lease rate.

Kevin, I hope it works out for you.

Meanwhile, for Jason Semmler, I just came across this -- Starting a New Food Business. Universities often have Food Science curriculums and many college and universities have Extension Services and literature that can be ordered or downloaded. This might be of interest to you:

http://www.efsonline.uga.edu/EFS_NFB/index.htm

Rita

Kevin, I hope the numbers work out for you. Maybe a little negotiating might help, especially if the place has been empty a while.

For Jason Semmler, I came across this information which might be helpful to add to the good advice you got here -- “Starting a New Food Business” --

http://www.efsonline.uga.edu/EFS_NFB/index.htm

I would think that any university that has a food science or hospitality curriculum would have some information for you as well. Each state usually has an Extension Service with a lot of intormation too.

Rita

I second what Keri C said. There was an article in the local paper, I tried to find it online but it seems our paper doesn't offer that. Anyhow this guy sat up in a cvs pharmacy in a small rural town. People started coming from 40 miles away to eat his Q. In the article he just bought or leased a place to set up a restaraunt.

I have set up a place that I just open on the weekends. I have a ways to go but starting off small has made it so I can handle things by myself.

I've decided to do just that...I'm going to set up in a local grocery store parking lot and do ribs and pulled pork on the weekends just to get the ball rolling. I'm planning on having some business cards printed up so that I can be contacted for catering gigs also. I'm realizing that I should start small and work up to opening my own Q shop instead of jumping into a major lifestyle change and financial investment without any experience.

I've been looking at trailor mounted smokers. I've found a few manufacturers online, but not many...anyone out there know a good rig maker? I've got my eye on a guy just south of Macon, GA but I'm not sure the rigs he makes are big enough for what I want to do in the future. The rig I'm thinking about is a 250 gallon propane tank style smoker. There's a good size fire box one one side for charcoal and small logs, and four pull out racks that are 29" x 29" (a little less than 24 square feet of rack space). This will be fine for setting up in a parking lot, but if I'll be limited by the size of catering gigs I could do and if things work out I won't be able to open a Q joint with that size rig. I don't want to have to buy a new rig in a year or two because I didn't buy a larger size from the start. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone out there know a good rig (new or used) that is for sale?

Thanks!

Jason

Before you buy anything:

If you haven't already, you need to contact your local health department to see if what you are planning is possible (legal) from their end and what their requirements are. You'll likely need to check with the fire department to see what their requirements are, and the various county offices that regulate/license businesses. See this post and cover all the bases, informationally, first. Be prepared to ask questions and respond to theirs, especially the HD's, in regards to on-site or off-site food prep and storage, hot-holding and cold-holding, cold storage, water availability, required sink type(s) and quantity(ies), and so forth. See also this post.

If the overall project is acceptable to the county, their requirements might very well steer you toward one type of trailer over another. E.g., on-site cold- or hot-holding requirements might mean this sort of trailer set-up rather than that; ditto with sink requirements, among other possibilities. Cooker size might be rather immaterial compared to other requirements. It all depends on the requirements. Some counties have so many that it is prohibitive; others--sometimes counties immediately adjacent--have far fewer regulations. It can be worth checking other counties nearby.

Used trailers are posted on various Q websites. There are many manufacturers. A Google search for 'barbecue concession trailer' will show many. Some carry used/trade-ins. Ebay lists new and used as well.

Some counties might offer a catering license or concession license for what you are looking to do--but not if your set-up is 'permanent', i.e., in the same location all the time. Find that out. Some will not allow you to use your set-up if, someday, you decide to open an actual joint. In that case, buying larger now is unwarranted. You'd need a different set-up for a joint--but could either sell the trailer or keep it and use for off-site catering gigs (many joint operators keep a trailer for this very thing). Again, asking questions now, as you form plans, can help immensely in the long run. Also, cold storage and hot-holding can have much to do with what type of trailer you need. More than a few caterers cook much of their food ahead of time and reheat on site, allowing them to operate with a smaller set-up. Lots of possibilities trailer-wise...

This has been a great thread! This very subject has been a "hot topic" in our home for about the last two years. Lots and lots of great information. Thanks everybody!

Here's what our quest to open something in the "Q" business has been like:

Some days are like this ...
icon_eek.gif

Some days are like this ...
icon_mad.gif
and this ...
icon_confused.gif

And a lot of days are like this ...
icon_rolleyes.gif

All so someday we can hopefully be like this ...
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Rick

Jason M:

Just east of Waycross, GA, in Brantley county, is a trailer bbq manufacturer called Lang Barbecues. I know nothing of their quality, however.

Jason,
Some of the better pit manufacturers would be Klose, Lang, Gator, Stumps, Horizon and Spicewine Ironworks, just to name a few. I'm pretty sure all of them make trailer mounted pits. I also think most of these are built to order, and there may be a wait to get a pit. Decide what style of pit you want to go with (off-set or cabinet style upright) and choose your manufacturer from there.
If I was to start up a catering business, I would personally lean toward a Spicewine, but have not really investigated any other manufacturers. Just my $.02.
Good luck.

Before you buy anything:...
Used trailers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here in New York it makes a big difference if you have a trailer smoker where the smoker is welded or otherwise permanently attached to the trailer (or wheels) vs. having a trailer with a smoker *on* the trailer. The first is considered agricultural equipment and the second is a trailer with stuff on it. The license requirements are very different for both.

It is weird the way regulations work sometimes.

Back