I guess it's time to build a mini...

yep, that plate was way to close. you need to lift it up. I use a trivet or round cookie grate with legs. I use the diffuser that comes with the pot. then I put the trivet on that and the clay dish on that.
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/mbshop-wheels/IMG_0443.jpg
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/mbshop-wheels/IMG_0443.jpg

I had a feeling that the clay base was going to break since it was right on top of the fire. I might try MattL's old skillet idea. I know that won't break.

I just put a SJ grate on the indent of the pot and then set my clay saucer on it (when I use the clay saucer) most the time I don't use a defuser in my SJ Mini, or sometimes I'll use a pie plate when I want minimum heat deflection

Nice looking Mini! Diffusers, well when I have one in, which is only when I am doing smokes under 300° I put where the steamer insert goes, usually on the insert or a grate. I have several that I have used (all wrapped in foil). I have used a 12" & 10" terracotta planter saucer, a chunk of lava rock, and a 8"x9"x1" hunk of granite. My standard go to though is just the steamer insert. It's good down to about 285° anything lower than that and I add the hunk of granite now. I very rarely have anything cooking on the lower level so this set up works for me.

The best method for lighting that I have found is to fill your charcoal basket with unlit and top with (3-4) 2"-3" chunks of smoke wood. then light a side with a torch. You'll be up to temp in 5-8 minutes. No white smoke. Hands down the easiest way to set up ad control a consistent temp.

16787743127_f4761b64ee_b.jpg

16782185117_a4036a10a6_b.jpg

16369467753_d9f2362a56_b.jpg

I like your handle on the lower vent. I have been having problems with both of mine. They are only attached like your top vent is. After several years of seasoning building up, they get stuck until the mini warms up. The leverage from using handle bends the thin metal tab. Pretty sure that one of these days I'm going to rip the whole thing off!

Back