I got it, I got it, I FINALLY GOT ONE! I do have 1 question though.

Casey Hart

Well after long hours reading this forumn and reviews and so on, I finally got a 22" WSM!(on amazon linked from this website of course) I started with an offset chargriller, got really discouraged with the amount of babysitting (not to mention the fuel consumption). I've cooked a couple of times on it and LOVE IT. If you keep the water pan empty, it really doesn't use alot of charcoal or wood. I really like how steady the temps hold with almost no tinkering. My question is this, I've looked around for one of those terra cotta pot things and am having a really hard time finding one 18", couldn't a guy just HD foil the pan and fill it with lava rock or ceramic briquettes or something? If you seasoned vets have tried this let me know how it went. I really can't wait to try a HH brisket, I will get some pics up here as soon as I do something worth bragging about! Thanks for the response.

Before I got the terra cotta base to use, I used sand. So yes, you can use other things. Do a search on the peidmont pan - basically, you don't need to use anything. If you can keep your WSM out of the wind, temps will generally be pretty easy to keep stable.

CAsey, been using a foil covered pan for years. I'm sure the clay pot insert works great but this is fine for me.

Hey! Congratulations!

It's all worth bragging about. You are producing something that is FAR better than what you can get at any chain Q place so be proud of it!

Welcome to the fun!

Russ

I found my 14 inch plate at Home Depot. Lowe's didn't even have a 14, which is what the 18 inch WMS needs. Try there for a plate. You must keep in mind all your drippings are going into the water pan if you don't have it covered, so you would be buying a lot of lava rock or whatever. I would fill it with play sand which is VERY cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's before I would put anything else in there. Just do a good job of wrapping the water pan with HD Foil and that will make for a fairly quick clean up after a few smokes. Good luck.

ok, cool thanks for the advice, I think I will put some sand in the pan and just foil over it so if some of the drippings go through the foil, it won't get to the pan and burn, causing an off taste on the food not to mention being a pain to clean up, thanks for all your guys' inputs. I'm gonna try my first butt and fattie this weekend I think, I will post and let you know how my method worked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Casey Hart:
Alrighty, I like the firebrick idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do too. The sand was kind of a pain to deal with. A solid brick should work good and obviously, a firebrick would be right at home in the WSM (no need to worry about something cracking or blowing up from the heat).

Back