I forgot the charcoal grate!

CDelSole

Bonehead n00b here - I just fired up a full charcoal chamber of briquettes using the Minion Method, after which I realized I left the charcoal grate sitting on my patio! I'm 45 minutes into my Prime Rib smoke and holding 255 degrees steady. Am I in any danger of damaging my WSM?

Yours in stupidity,

Chris

My guess is no... But a total guess, charcoal might not burn as well and you could get really hot coals falling from the vents.

My guess is no... But a total guess, charcoal might not burn as well and you could get really hot coals falling from the vents.

Thanks, James. I'm on a paver patio over a grill mat, so I think I'm okay on the coals. Obviously airflow is going to be a little funky, but I'm still holding temp really well, so I'm going to keep going and call this a learning experience!

I think as James said you should be ok with the possible exception of the burning efficiency.

So this worked out...definitely had trouble maintaining temp after 90 minutes, but it was a quick enough cook to get it done. I'll never make this mistake again!

Man that has never made a mistake has never done anything.

Also remember that someone will have read this post and you will have saved them from the same mistake, expect you will never know about it. :D

Back