I am too looking for a Heatermeter 4.1 PCB

I don't get it. What are these things? Are they bought or built? Is this an Internet controlled BBQ Guru or something? I've been trying to find a thread giving a basic explanation, but I can't seem to find it.

OSHPARK makes the HM boards, they do/did sell individual circuit boards for the HMv4.0, but since the HMv4.1 board design is a work in progress (the design is not finalized) they do not yet stock individual HMv4.1 boards. You can, however, upload the design file to OSHPARK and have them print you a custom run, only hitch is the minimum order is 3 (you can't buy a single board). Once the design is finalized Bryan will let OSHPARK know and they will then start stocking/selling individual HMv4.1 boards. In the meantime, you either have to order 3 or get one from another forum member that has ordered 3 and has a spare to sell...

I don't get it. What are these things? Are they bought or built? Is this an Internet controlled BBQ Guru or something? I've been trying to find a thread giving a basic explanation, but I can't seem to find it.

Consider it a paint-by-number electronics project. Most of the hard work has been done by Bryan (and others). Now all you have to do is order the parts, solder it together, order a 3D printed case if you want it to look nice and you're off to the races. If you've followed the steps correctly, you'll end up with a remote controllable BBQ/Smoker controller.

Basically it's a modern day Heathkit project!

After reading Steve_M's post it struck me perhaps Stone was asking about the HM in general, and not just the board (which is what this thread is about)

The Heater Meter is pretty much like you described, an internet controlled "BBQ Guru", except IMHO the HM is WAY better than any of the commercial BBQ controllers available out there. The basic concept is, the HM board controls a blower and/or servo damper which will regulate the air flow in a grill/pit to achieve the desired temperature. It can read the temperature of 4 probes, one of them is the pit probe that is used to control the temp, the rest can be used in foods. There are too many other features/options to go into in a brief description, but that is is basics of it...

As for getting one, it's like Steve said, kinda like a modern day HeathKit, but not quite as spoon fed (but almost). Bryan designed the thing, puts up the WIKI guide which includes the build instructions and parts list, with a clickable BOM that will load all the parts you need to build the unit into Mouser and Digikey shopping carts (these are electronic parts supply companies). Then you need to acquire a HM circuit board (explained above) and build the HM board yourself. This unit can work in a stand alone fashion (not network connected), or you can add a Raspberry Pi mini computer board to it and that gives you the web interface with all the bells and whistles. At that point you have bare bones circuit boards, you can use them as is (though its a bit of a PITA to use the bare circuit boards) or fashion up your own case, or order a neat 3D printed case for the unit which Matt and Tom in the forum have developed. At that point you've really got something!

I have two extra HMv4.1 boards that were made on 4/8/2014. I can ship on Monday so PM me if interested.

Arlen

I have 2 extra HM 4.1 boards if anyone is interested - PM me. Happy to ship anywhere as long as you pay the shipping.

Anyone have a spare HM4.1 board to ship to California? The ones I ordered from OSH Park are apparently not right (I guess I screwed something up when I uploaded the files).

I no longer need a board, I just ordered a set, I will have some spares and I will post them once they arrive.

Back