Humphrey Lump Delivery Available

Originally posted by Ryan Kelley:
Last week I got an email from Lee Humphrey. $32.99 for 40lb delivered.
OUCH!!!
icon_eek.gif

I got the same email notice and went ahead and ordered 3 bags for a total of $98.87 shipped right to my door. That is a little high but I can't buy it here locally anywhere and been wanting to try it forever. I just wish someone local would sell if it's as good as everyone says. All I have to compare to is Royal Oak lump so I'm interested to see how good it is.

Painful as the shipping cost is, we can't get it in NC either... I was thinking of ordering 3 bags of the 40 lb lump to try as well... Maybe if there is enough interest, someone could order a pallet and split it up?

Randy, let us know how it survives the shipping process. Last thing we need is a hundred dollar bag of charcoal dust!

The questions I have are what does Hump cost locally and would you fans out there pay this if you could not get it.
I get GFS for what amounts to $.63/lb, this is 30% more.
I am fairly happy with GFS (I've read it is Royal Oak rebranded) but there are a lot of small pieces that fall through the doubled grates. Does the shipped lump come packaged well, not broken into lots of pieces?
Thanks
Don

Those guys should cut a deal with WalMart or Home Depot... they have a nice system; order online, pay online... they ship it to local store near you for free... you pick it up there... I want to try it too, but I guess I am just too much a tightwad to pay that much...

I got my shipment today, everything looked good, just one bag had one very minor tear in it on the top side of the box. I got 120 lbs. for 98.97 so that's .83 per pound. I paid 17.99 for a 20 lbs bag which is .90 per pound for Robert Orr Sysco brand of Royal Oak lump the last batch I bought. I will try it in a few days and see how it does. I have never used it before so I am excited about using it.

Maybe I got the photos correct, I still can't get this figured out right, I do it different everytime.

http://i177.photobucket.com/al...CHARCOAL2.jpg[/IMG]]
CHARCOAL3.jpg
]

Originally posted by Don Irish:
The questions I have are what does Hump cost locally and would you fans out there pay this if you could not get it.
I get GFS for what amounts to $.63/lb, this is 30% more.
I am fairly happy with GFS (I've read it is Royal Oak rebranded) but there are a lot of small pieces that fall through the doubled grates. Does the shipped lump come packaged well, not broken into lots of pieces?
Thanks
Don
Don, I pay $24.69 (with tax) for a 40lb bag of Hump. Would I pay it, yeah prob. I wouldn't use it for every cook like I do now though. I'd get some other brands of lump for grilling.
Yes GFS charcoal is made by RO.
Well shipping lump is dependent on how well it's packed in a box, if at all. I've bought many, many bags of lump via the net over the years. Some take the time to put packaging material in the box, while others do not. Main thing is that they box it up. I've had some just tape the bags together, slap a lable on the bags, and off it goes. That didn't turn out to well on my end.
icon_mad.gif
Kansas "Dust in the Wind" comes to mind.
icon_frown.gif

Humphrey's lump is one of the best I've used as far as dust and small chips are concerned.
I used to buy Wicked Good Competition lump through the mail, then I found Humphrey's local. The old WG comp was some of the best you could buy. I did a test between the WG and Hump and found that I get the same burn times. The plus with Hump is you don't get any perfume smell when it's burning like you do from the WG lump made over in Brazil. Nothing wrong with it, just I'm not used to the foreign trees, and the smells they make when you burn the lump.

IMG]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w236/randyp_bucket/CHARCOAL2.jpg[/IMG]

I tried again on photos and still didn't get it right.

Can someone please fix these and sorry for the full size instead of the links to open. I am not giving up on adding photos.

Thanks

Originally posted by Randy P.:
IMG]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w236/randyp_bucket/CHARCOAL2.jpg[/IMG]
I tried again on photos and still didn't get it right.(QUOTE)

Under the thumb nails in your album if you mouse over are some linking codes. Copy the last code photobucket shows, the img code, and paste it directly in the body of your post

Thanks for the report on the shipping Randy. Looks like it arrived in pretty good condition. Glad to see they box it up for shipment anyway. I think I will drop Lee an order for 3 bags myself. I do wish we could get this stuff locally.

I think it pushes the price to "averages" I see in specialty shops. Wholesale/roller/feed/mill sources are best if you can find someone who stocks it locally by contacting Humphrey locally.

I don't buy the big bags like Bryan, but my prices are about the same. Something like $11 for 20lb bag last time I bought my usual load of 10-20 bags. That was after the last price hike to adjust fro the increased costs for fuel.

Nice service though for those who want to try it, and can't find it locally.

I emailed Lee Humphries and asked him where I could find his product in NC... His reply was "we do not currently sell into the North Carolina area" and then went on to repeat the earlier email saying I could order using Paypal and they would ship it. Seems like an opportunity for expanding their territory; I would wager that there are more than a couple folks in this state who would use their lump regularly if they would sell it here somewhere.

Back