Howdy from southcentral Indiana

Kevin Blair

I own a couple Weber grills and my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday this coming spring and I told her and now she is going to get me a Smokey Mountain Cooker .I already know 3 guys that has the WSM and they cook on them as smokers and as a grills and absolutely love them and have cooked on them for many years. I love to cook out anything outdoors. Thanks for allowing me in this awesome group and I am ready to learn tips and some mods for the future .I also smoke on a Kamado when not using my Weber grills and I have mastered the Kamado over the last several years and I want to be able to master the WSM too when I do get one. I do have a quick question I know this is introduction section but I am curious if I should go with the 18.5 " or the 22 " ? My motto is ,"Its not about the cooker its all about the cook."

Last edited:
Welcome, Kevin. You've found the right place to get going with your WSM when it shows up this spring! I don't know of a better group of folks, or a better host than the crew here at TVWBB!

What size should you get really depends on how many you are cooking for, or how much you like to cook at a time. With it's two cooking grates, the 18.5" WSM can handle a lot of meat. 4 pork butts (or 6 if you are adventurous....though that's pushing it), I've done six racks of ribs in a rack just on the top shelf, etc, etc. Having said that, when I had my WSM22, I really enjoyed the extra space, even though the 18.5 worked for me for MANY years prior. The 22 is a bit of a fuel hog, though, so that's a consideration, too. If you're just cooking for the two of you, with the occasional extra guests, I'd say the 18.5" is the sweet spot......especially since you have other Webers and a Kamado. I would think that would give you all the space you need.

I agree with your motto, by the way.......though a really poor cooker can make even the best cook look bad! :)

Rich

Welcome, Kevin! I've been through Columbus several times over the years and while I've never stopped at Zaharakos I've bought gas at the Speedway at 46 and 65!;)

Welcome, Kevin. I actually grew up in Columbus, though I now live up by Ball State University. This is a great forum for grilling and smoking, and you will learn a lot. And besides that, it's one of the best run and most cordial forums out there. I personally cannot help with opinions on the WSM size, as I do not have one. I've been doing all my smoking on the kettle. But you will find more than enough information here to help you out.

Back