How to Smoke a Brisket Flat

Chris AD

So my mom has a few brisket flats that she got buying a beef a year ago that she has no idea what to do with. I told her I could smoke them, slice 'em thin, and then freeze them in vacuum bags and then use them as sandwich meat when we go camping. She thought that was a great idea.

Now my problem is, I've never done "just the flat". I've done a dozen packers before, but never the flat. I doubt there is much fat on the flats she has so I'm worried about how to keep them from drying out. I'm thinking maybe just salt and pepper would be good enough for this kind of use, but I'd be interested in other ideas for flavoring them up.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what temp to cook them too?
How long at what temperature (approximately)?
How to cook them?

Thanks for the help, I get my WSM today and I can't wait to put it to work!

I'm also interested in your question. Sometimes I see them on sale for cheap but don't get them because I don't know what to do with them..

Be sure to season it before you use it.
I've read that you don't need to, I've read you have to burn it hot, then cook fatty meat on it first. I'm confused on what the heck to do. I planned on putting a bunch of charcoal in it tonight and letting it get as hot as I can get it, then I planned on testing how it holds 225 overnight the next night. I planned on doing some chicken on Sunday. Is that good enough or do I have to do more?

I always do butts at the same time I do flats and let the pork fat drip onto the flat, mine have not been dry. Fire that WSM up and get smokin

I've read that you don't need to
That is correct. Just wash the cooking grates and start smoking.
As for flats, like anything else, they will not dry out if not overcooked. Generally, I like to cook between 250 and 300. Any rub that you like will do. Fat side down in the WSM because the heat is coming up from below. What I do is wait for the meat to get to the color I want, dark brown not black, and then foil, or cook to an internal of about 160 and then foil. After an hour, maybe two, in foil start checking for tenderness. Stick a toothpick in it in a few places. There should be no resistance, like going into soft butter. At that point don't cook any more. Take it in and just tent it with foil to keep it clean and let it rest and cool.

I've read that you don't need to, I've read you have to burn it hot, then cook fatty meat on it first. I'm confused on what the heck to do. I planned on putting a bunch of charcoal in it tonight and letting it get as hot as I can get it, then I planned on testing how it holds 225 overnight the next night. I planned on doing some chicken on Sunday. Is that good enough or do I have to do more?

Why waste fuel? Put meat in it when you fire it up! Normal use will season it just fine. The first time I fired my WSM up, there was a pork butt in it that turned out great!

I've read that you don't need to, I've read you have to burn it hot, then cook fatty meat on it first.
Where did you read that? If you want the real skinny on all things WSM, go no further than this website. Not that I have all the answers (surely I don't), but this is THE site for WSM users

My two cents. Got my 2nd WSM last week. I ran a full load of Royal Oak with no meat in there, all vents open. Smoker got all the way up to 375 and stayed there for 4-6 hours.

I assume that would burn off any "off chemicals" in the unit.

I then did an overnight with 2 butts and a brisket a few days later, and it all turned out great.

I think seasoning it is ideal, but not mandatory IMO.

If you've ever seen a really well-seasoned WSM that has only had pork and beef in it, you'll know it's got tons of really yummy-smelling gunk in there. That stuff flavors anything you cook in it. Harry Soo is a competition cook--that extra bit of seasoning can help Q go from good to great. But it's certainly not necessary for using the WSM.

I didn't even do a burn-in on mine, first time I fired it up was with a butt in it.

I've got the rub on tonight, tomorrow I'm going to smoke them. They're pretty lean, should I put the fattiest side down and throw a bacon weave on top? Anyone else want to suggest a temp to cook these at and a temperature to pull them at for thin slicing? I plan to wrap them at 160. I'm really excited to put some meat on this thing and see how it works, especially since I got the Auber in the mail today too. :D

Yes to fat cap down. No to bacon. I'd cook 275-325. There is no specific temp at which brisket flat is tender. After it's been in foil for a while, check the tenderness of the meat. Poke it with a toothpick in a few places. You'll know tender when you feel it. Once tender, take it in and let it cool down for at least 3/4 hour before you attempt to cut it

Back