How to remove Oxidation on Master Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Guerber.

TVWBB Super Fan
I was checking out a master touch today down by the beach in Venice. I was going to grab it for pretty cheap since it needed a TON of work.

One thing that kinda made me think twice was the finish was almost pink (should have been red). Does anyone know how to get rid of really bad oxidation? It almost looked like someone did a horrible job spray painting it.

Is it possible for the porcelain to get oxidized? Is it possible to put in some work to get it to look red again?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i'm thinking to will never go back to red. the sun is that strong. i don't think it matters as long as its cheap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was cheap but I really wanted a nice red grill to add to my collection. It needed many other items as well just to get it back to health. I may just pick it up tomorrow if he still has it. I passed on it but had second thoughts later. My wife would kill me if I brought it home the way it looked but I had hope that maybe I can get it back to being red again.

Thanks for the help George.

Scot
You could always try using a 1500 grit wetsand paper on it. Then polishing it afterwards. Try it on a small spot first of course. If that grit is too fine, try one a bit more coarse.

Try a polishing compound ( auto department)
If there is no rust don't use anything too coarse ( don't ruin the porcelain ) if this doesn't work re-paint with high heat engine enamel.
th_46080485.jpg
[/URL]]Ford red[/URL]

I have used Ceramabryte on a couple of kettles I found on CL it does a nice job getting most of the gunk off.

Here is something from another forum, This guy has fixed up a lot of kettles.
Quote "I used steel wool and 3M pads, Dupli-Color Engine Red with ceramic, then finished up with Mequiars resealer glaze and the color pops right out!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back