How to Light Wicked Good?

Brad H.

TVWBB Fan
I've received two 22lb bags of Wicked Good Competition Lump...from what I understand it's a loooooong burning lump but "heck" to light...does anyone have experience using Wicked Good Lump in their WSM? What's the most effective way to light it?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'd go with the chimney, it's usually very effective. When I do have lump that doesn't want to light, I resort to the propane torch.

Jim

I use two pieces of crumpled newspaper. When that's almost gone I lift the chimney and put one crumpled piece on top of the almost-dead two. It seems to need that extra kick.

You can also put some veggie oil on the newspaper for a little more heat to get it lit. Or use the Weber cubes, they work very well.
icon_biggrin.gif

Great suggestions...thank you...

When you light it with the propane torch is it in the chimney or...? Can you use the minion method with this type of lump or does it all need to ashed over first?

Brad, mine was in the chimney. I read about using the torch on another web site. Worked really well. I'd be interested in your experience using Wicked Good Lump. Do you use less than charcoal? How long does it really burn? etc. I've got a source for Wicked Good here where I live. Wanted to try it out.

When I lit the Wicked Good, I would just use a chimney, but put about 5 Kingsford briquettes in the bottom before the lump. Plain newspaper frequently didn't have enough "umpf" to get the dense Wicked going, but having the Kingsford there extended the heat exposure time to get them going.

i must say the last time i lit some lump i used a few kingsford in the bottom it really helped....and you have to try veg oil and some paper towels....it makes an inferno of black smoke...but it gets the job done

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
....and you have to try veg oil and some paper towels....it makes an inferno of black smoke...but it gets the job done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fill the ring with lump and light briquettes in the chimney. That's how I start my minion method cook.

Mords - You might be using too much veg. oil. I have used the oiled paper towel and it does work very well. I've never see any major black smoke. Maybe it's the type of oil - I'm using Crisco (just for the fire - not on the meat
icon_biggrin.gif
)

i put just a swig of vegtable oil on some paper towels....perhaps it is to much.....it stained the outside of my chimney cuz the smoke and flames were so intense.....thanks for the tip

Another method I use to get the chimney going quicker is take the litle bits and scraps from my bags of wood chunks, and lay them in the bottom of the chimney, then add my charcoal.
The wood catches easily and tends to light the charcoal pretty well.
Jim

With the WSM and the guru, lighting just one lump with the propane gets things going. For the grill, using a chimney, i find two lightings with the propane (a few minutes apart) expeditious.

Back