How to buy wood chunks??? (Rookie here)

Ok, talked a few more times with Sharpe Woods.

Collette sent me pics of what the burlap sack looked like, as well the wood chunks themselves. The chunks look like the right side.

It's $20 for ~ a 15 lb. / 0.8 cubic feet of hickory. ~ $14 for shipping for a total of $34.

What does everyone think about the price?

What should I do with my existing Cowboy 21 lb. of hickory wood splint that I got in August? Can I use it as firewood for the fireplace or something? It's too big to use in the WSM. I did it once for the smoked turkey because it was all I could find on short notice, but it was a mistake.

Can I also use one Sharpe hickory chunk for a pizza?

If you've got Hickory Wood (Split?) but it's too big - maybe do what I did:

I found a nice but old Electric Chop Saw at an estate sale (even came with a fairly sharp carbide-tooth blade).
I carry it outside, plug 'er in, and make-up a small box full of right-sized chunks from split logs or mediumish cut-off branches.

I like to keep most of my Smoke Wood in larger pieces, and cut-up batches of chunks every month or two when my supply of small-stuff is running low

If you HAVE some Hickory - I would save it / use it. But in most cases, I like to mix it with other woods like Apple. IMHO, it gives too much of a "hammy" taste to what I'm cooking if used alone or excessively.

If you've got Hickory Wood (Split?) but it's too big - maybe do what I did:

I found a nice but old Electric Chop Saw at an estate sale (even came with a fairly sharp carbide-tooth blade).
I carry it outside, plug 'er in, and make-up a small box full of right-sized chunks from split logs or mediumish cut-off branches.

I like to keep most of my Smoke Wood in larger pieces, and cut-up batches of chunks every month or two when my supply of small-stuff is running low

If you HAVE some Hickory - I would save it / use it. But in most cases, I like to mix it with other woods like Apple. IMHO, it gives too much of a "hammy" taste to what I'm cooking if used alone or excessively.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get that lucky. And those saws are expensive.

So that's why I asked if using the split for firewood is ok.

And does that price quote for the Sharpe woods seem ok, with the shipping added?

Arun...

Yes, that is a good price. Although since I don't get mine shipped, I'll reserve any comments on that.

While I get my bulk cooking wood from the Wood Shed, I use Fruita Wood and BBQ Supply for my small chunk orders.

Bob

Last edited:
The Hickory is on its way from The Woodshed.

Shipping ended up being cheaper than the initial estimate, from $14 down to $11.31.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get that lucky. And those saws are expensive.

So that's why I asked if using the split for firewood is ok.

And does that price quote for the Sharpe woods seem ok, with the shipping added?

I'm sure Freemont CA has some carpentry shops..furniture/cabinet makers, etc. I'd try giving them a call and just ask if they could have one of their guys cut the splits you have down to chunk-size. It'd probably take 'em all of 5 minutes, tops, and I'd be surprised if they charge you more than a few dollars to do it.

And, sure, you could burn them in your fireplace, but (IMO) that's kind of a waste of good smoke wood.

HI Erik,

Do you remember the name of the place you got the wood here in SD? Also any other locations you can think of in SD other that the Home Depot that would carry something different?
thanks,

I'm sure Freemont CA has some carpentry shops..furniture/cabinet makers, etc. I'd try giving them a call and just ask if they could have one of their guys cut the splits you have down to chunk-size. It'd probably take 'em all of 5 minutes, tops, and I'd be surprised if they charge you more than a few dollars to do it.

And, sure, you could burn them in your fireplace, but (IMO) that's kind of a waste of good smoke wood.

Thanks, I'll do this.

If a carpentry shop is able to do this, what do I do now with 2 sets of wood?

My Sharpe wood will be arriving soon, and then I'll have the existing Cowboy hickory too.

I kind of want to only stick with one set of wood, otherwise I'll drive myself nuts trying to do comparisons on whether I can taste the difference between using one wood vs. another.

I just walk out to my wood pile. The first two stacks are hickory, The rest is red and white oak. I also have cherry and apple too.

dm7ic8.jpg

The Hickory is on its way from The Woodshed.

Shipping ended up being cheaper than the initial estimate, from $14 down to $11.31.

It arrived last week.

Just a question.

Right now, the wood is indoors.

But once I open it, I want to leave it outdoors next to my grill, which is under a canopy.

If the ground gets a little wet, is it ok? The canopy does protect against direct rain. But the ground underneath the canopy still gets a little wet.

It arrived last week.

Just a question.

Right now, the wood is indoors.

But once I open it, I want to leave it outdoors next to my grill, which is under a canopy.

If the ground gets a little wet, is it ok? The canopy does protect against direct rain. But the ground underneath the canopy still gets a little wet from residual rain next to the canopy.

Bump?

It rained last night, so it made me think of this question again.

BTW, I had asked the same thing to Collette from Sharpe, and she said it would be ok. Just wanted others' opinions too.

Myself, I have never stored my smoking wood outdoors.
Here's an interesting read in Fruita's FAQ.

Thanks. Wow, those suggestions sound different from what Collette from Sharpe told me over the phone. That Fruita FAQ suggests refrigeration, or an airtight container in the freezer, or in a bucket and burying the bucket.

I had asked Collette whether the wood would still be good for several years, given the rate at which I'd use it. She checked with someone else, but confirmed that yes, it should be good for several years, and wouldn't really get bad over time.

The Fruita FAQ also said NOT to store it indoors.

Well, that's exactly how I've stored the Sharpe so far (still within the unopened sack), as I haven't used it yet.

What do you think I should do?

I think the burlap sack allows some breathability, right?

For convenience sake, I wanted to store it under my outdoor canopy next to the WSM. That's why I asked Collette and on here questions about storing the wood outdoors. I wouldn't mind getting a 5 gallon bucket and storing it in there outdoors under the canopy, either. But with the lid on or off?

I just want to store it as best as possible, since I've invested so much time and effort in getting this wood, and want it to last. ;)

Back