How stable is your temp controller?

John09

TVWBB Fan
I'm trying to program my DIY controller and wondered what sort of stabilility you see with commercial systems. Right now I'm swinging +/- 3 degrees from the set point every 15 minutes or so. I figure I can get it tighter but I wonder how tight is possible.

I am definitely not a Stoker expert as I only have two cooks under my belt, but from what I have seen with the Stoker, once it gets stable it usually fluctuates within a +/- 3-5 degree band. So I would say a 3 degree band is great and I wouldn't change it.

Good luck,
Kg

It will vary greatly by pit, wind and ambient temp. I used my BGE (ceramic) for ribs the other day and my chart was a straight line. If I use my WSM there is much more of a variance. All in all though, a 10 or 20 degree change in PIT temp is no big deal. That same margin is not so good when determining when meat is cooked.

Thanks for the feed back guys, I just figured that the 7 degree flux every 20-30 minutes was more than I should have been getting. Sounds like it actually is pretty good!

Hey John,

My 22 WSM with a Guru DigiQ DX swings a shade like yours. I set it at 250 this weekend and saw it go from 246 low to 259 high. Several factors are usually involved when using the Minion method, but in a WSM with appreciable uncontrollable factors, this is pretty tight.
On the other hand, if you used a super tight system like a Superior or Stumps vertical upright, I would be more alarmed.
To be as close as you are on a WSM, consider it a victory.

Back