How much to feed 40?

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
I plan on doing pulled pork for 20 people and beef brisket for 20. What size shoulder(s) and brisket(s) should I get? Thanks for the help!

Not sure about the brisket, but on July 4 we had 19 adults and 4 kids over. We had 8 lbs of bbq (pulled pork) and ended up with at least 2 lbs left over. My best guess would be about 5.5 lbs eaten.

We had a bunch of really good sides and that made a difference. I have 2 sister-in-laws that make the best baked beans and potato salad I've ever eaten. There was about 2 pts of cole slaw and potato chips and dip. Brownies and homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert. In other words, bbq was competing with a bunch of other stuff with respect to tummy-filling.

Depending on your sides, I'd guess at least a 9-10 lb butt on the light eaters side to a couple of smaller 6-7 pounders on the big eaters side. Of course, you'd need about 3 ten pounders if they eat like me.
icon_smile.gif

I like 6oz finished meat per person total + sides for an abundant meal with leftovers.

You have to subtract loss during cooking which is about 50% for pulled pork and 35-40% for brisket.

So it ends up looking like this for 40 people:

40 people*6oz per person = 240 oz or 15 lbs finished meat.

If you want half pork butt and half brisket you would want

7.5 lbs pork butt / .5 yield = 15 lbs raw pork

7.5 brisket / .6 yield = 12.5 lbs raw brisket

Like my old restaurant manager used to tell me: "We are feeding them, not fattening them!"

Craig,
It was 8 lbs of cooked bbq. This situation was a bit different because I actually bought the bbq at a local joint.

My plan was to smoke a 9.5 lb butt,grill a dozen hamburgers and a pack of hot dogs. I wasn't sure how the quests would like my bbq so I wanted to do some other things. I knew I'd have leftovers but I have a Foodsaver and don't have a problem getting folks to take stuff home.

Temps well over 100 degrees changed my plans. I'd done some ribs a few days earlier when temp was 111 and took a day or two to recover. When I cancelled my plans and decided to just go with store bought pork I estimated about 6 ounces (cooked) per adult. As I mentioned, I overestimated but we did have alot of sides and I think the weather reduced consumption. No problem though, bbq doesn't go to waste around here.

Using my estimate you'd need to buy about 14-15 lbs of butt for 20 adults, assuming a 50 percent shrinkage/trim rate and 6 ounces per adult. You'd have to have some pretty big eaters to run out. You might could get by with as little as 10 lbs of precooked, assuming the same shrinkage rate and target of 4 ounces of cooked (decent size sandwich) per person.

P.S. Just noticed Dave's forumula. That's what I use for estimation. I've never cooked brisket so I don't know about it.

I don't use any formulas, I just figure 2/3 lb to 1 lb of raw meat per person depending on the crowd. 2/3 lb has always been enough when I cook for crowds and there's other food. A brisket doesn't shrink as much, but I would figure it the same.

Back