How much time for a big cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm planning to do two butts (total about 14 pounds) and a brisket (I'm guessing 12-15 pounds) on Saturday. How much time should this take? More than 15 hours?

Hope you're planning on doing the overnight approach. I've done the same cook and it took me just over 15 hours. Having said that, I just finished cooking one butt and two picnics and the butt took 21 hours. Perfect weather, great temps, just the butt didn't want to get tender. I was planning on 14-15h for the butt. Don't forget that both butts and briskets hold well in HD foil wrapped in towels in a cooler (I've held butts for 4 hours and it was still hot enough to be very uncomfortable while pulling).

Stone

You can estimate your time better by knowing the weight of the individual pieces of meat. If the butts are about equal in weight you'll probably have a 14 to 16 hr cook. The brisket will probably cook within that time because it is flatter, except for the point. These are only estimates and they're done when their done - internal temp of 195 for butts and 200 (for me) for brisket. Use of foil can shorten the times.

I would certainly do this cook overnight - you might as well or otherwise you'd be getting up to start it shortly after you went to bed.
icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your cook - sounds like fun.

Paul

I'll probably start them around 4 on Saturday afternoon, and take them off at 6-7 am on Sunday. I'll wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler while I get some ribs on.

Thanks.

Anyone in Hudson Valley want to stop by for food?

Stone, I am doing the same cook this coming Friday night! I am allowing 18-20hrs for the cook and if it finishes early then wrap and to the cooler!

Let me know how it goes!

I was told when I did my first smoke with 2 Butts to count back 20 hours from when I planned to serve them. This worked out well. I put them on at about 7:30, took them off around 1-ish and stored them in a cooler until 5-ish when we ate.

I'm planning on two Butts and 3 racks of BB ribs for this Sunday with the ribs as an appetizer.

Good luck with your cookouts this weekend Stone & Greg!

Mark F

I've never done butts in less than 18 hours. This pasy weekend I did one Sat. - Sun. and held it in a cooler for 5 hours. Took it out of the cooler still wrapped in foil and put into a 200 degree oven for an hour,took it out of the oven and pulled, placed in slow cooker with small amount of BBQ sauce for my sons friends to enjoy. From start of cook to slow cooker placement was 25 hours. My sons start times and my start times for parties just don't seem to line up!! Any way all was deliciuos!!

Nick P.

"...placed in slow cooker with small amount of BBQ sauce for my sons friends to enjoy"

That's a good idea, Nick!
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back