How much space is there really?

Chris Sully

TVWBB Member
If you had read my earlier post, you would know that I was debating between a Traeger pellet smoker and a WSM.

I have chosen... Drum role please...

WSM

Now the question I have for you is which one?

How much can you realistically get on the 18.5 at one time? upper and lower racks ribs, brisket, chicken etc.

Is it worth the $140 extra to get the 22.5? If so then I will.

Thanks

Chris, I have the 18.5 WSM. I did 6 racks of St. Louis trimmed spares a couple weeks ago. I did add a 3rd rack. You can do 2 briskeys, or 4-6 whole beer can birds. One guy on this site has added 2 or 3 extra grates to his so how adventurous do you want to get. If I had to do it over I would go for the 22. Course I am starting some comps. But all depends on how many you are going to cook for and if you have other grills, kettles, etc.

Chris I have the 18.5" also, I have cooked 6 butts at one time also I have done 10 Racks of St louis cut ribs at one time using two Weber rib racks, you'd be suprised at how much you can fit on the 18.5".

Chris, I have not loaded my 18.5" to the hilt yet by any means.

But, If you are not going to cook for a crowd a lot you can save money initially up front going with the 18er. This money can be used to get yourself some other goodies like a Maverick thermo or a thermapen, rib racks or other accessories.

The 18 will also use a bit less fuel so your savings will compound over the years.

If you like the 22.5" more, or will cook for many people often then the 22.5 is prabably your ticket.

Good choice on the WSM. You will have a ball with it and it is of course supported by the best online community/forum out there.
icon_wink.gif
Right here that is.

I have estimated before that one could put about 40 lbs of prok shoulder on an 18.5 WSM.

I have seen 6 chickens at once on the 18.5.

I imagine with rib racks you could put on at least 8 full slabs of baby backs.

In other words, I think that you could put enough on there to cook for a dozen or more people, or 30 or more with pork shoulders.

If it were me, and I had $400 to spend, I would buy an 18.5WSM and a 22.5 OTG kettle. I like the versatility of having 2 different styles of Webers, and the capacity of having 2 grillers. I have several times used both simultaneously for cooking for a party.

I would suggest the 22.5 WSM only if you regularly cook for 10 or more people. I think it is a waste of charcoal to fire up the 22.5 WSM when you are cooking regularly for 6 or fewer.

I now have the 26.75 kettle. I am surprised at how much more charcoal I need in comparison to the old 22.5 kettle. The extra size/volume really does mean a lot. THe 22.5 WSM is a WHOLE LOT BIGGER than the 18.5 and you WILL need a lot more charcoal over its lifetime.

But hey, if you usually cook for a big family or feed the neighborhood, or compete in the competitions, the you will love the 22.5 WSM. For family use, I prefer the smaller one. In fact, I think that I would rather have two 18.5 WMS than get a 22.5.

I've done 4 Butts, 4 racks of spares, and 2 briskets on my 18.5". Not a record but more than enough for a family of 6.

You can add space with the mods from here - Increasing Cooking Capacity
Back in VA, I used the #7 mod for the large annual Church picnic and 4th of July block party.

I would recommend you visit an ACE Hardware or BBQ store and view the 18.5" and 22.5" side-by-side. The 22.5" is huge ... and equally impressive.

Of course, with the 22.5", you'll never wish you had more space. "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." But it will use more fuel.

Also, you can grill with either by simply moving the charcoal grate up to the lower grate position.

I've successfully cooked NINE slabs of spares in my little wsm, but so far, only done up to four pork butts at a time. Harry Soo mentioned cooking two briskets above two pork butts by adding a big green egg extender rack.

Regarding butts though, you CAN cook six and that would give you about 50 lbs. of pork butts. (David Ward described how here by leaning the three up on end, supported by a beer can chicken rack.) That much should serve a party of EIGHTY, and that's a lot of folks, folks!

so.....SO MUCH FOR THE LITTLE WSM NOT COOKING FOR A BIG CROWD!

....and anyone that says different simply hasn't done the right math. You only need to figure 10 oz. uncooked butt per person, and that will give about 6 oz. bbq per person.

I will say that I'm not a fan of loading the little wsm up with a bunch of chicken pieces, though. It seems I get a lot of over-done and under-done when I do it. I would do beer can style if I wanted to do the max.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would recommend you visit an ACE Hardware or BBQ store and view the 18.5" and 22.5" side-by-side. The 22.5" is huge ... and equally impressive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've seen an actual WSM in a store??? Wow!

I must consider the 22" not so much for its volume but for the width of the grates. I've smoked spare ribs on my 22" kettle, and I recall them going all the way across. And I suspect than many briskets will be that long as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

You've seen an actual WSM in a store??? Wow!

I must consider the 22" not so much for its volume but for the width of the grates. I've smoked spare ribs on my 22" kettle, and I recall them going all the way across. And I suspect than many briskets will be that long as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought my WSM from a hardware hank. Think they had the price wrong as well since I only paid 175 for the 18" and amazon sells them for 275!

I've put three 8 lb butts and a 12 lb brisket on my 18.5. Had food for DAYS! The guys at work love it when I do that!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yeah, at most I will be feeding 8-10 people, usually more like 4-6.

I do like the idea of the bigger grate to lay ribs flat (probably doesn't matter, I have never done it) and the possibility to cook for more, but realistically that will probably never happen. $140 difference is a pretty big difference for a lot of "mights" and "maybes"

Chris, I have both and love them both! The 18 will do alot if your creative! I like the room on the 22 very much though. If you do or like ribs a lot you will have to cut them in half or roll them on the 18! I love the 22 for ribs and big briskey's! The diff may seem like a lot but it will last you for many years!!!

Let us know what you do
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Sully:

I do like the idea of the bigger grate to lay ribs flat (probably doesn't matter, I have never done it) and the possibility to cook for more, but realistically that will probably never happen. $140 difference is a pretty big difference for a lot of "mights" and "maybes" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, you might also find the portability of the original wsm a plus one day. I just got back from a family reunion we had over the weekend. The wsm fit in the trunk with room to spare for luggage, and we used it to smoke three pork butts.

The big one is nice, but you gotta wonder why Weber took so long to start making the big one if it was the practical choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Chris, I have both and love them both! The 18 will do alot if your creative! I like the room on the 22 very much though. If you do or like ribs a lot you will have to cut them in half or roll them on the 18! I love the 22 for ribs and big briskey's! The diff may seem like a lot but it will last you for many years!!!

Let us know what you do
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the 18 and I do not cut my slabs or roll them. I use a rib rack and fold back the sides. Works just fine. I also cook lots of 14-17 lb. briskets and have yet had any problems getting them on the smoker. Had to squeeze 'em in a bit, but they shrink up pretty quick.

I have yet to cook for a crowd larger than 20 and the 18 has fit that bill perfectly. If I was going to be cooking for larger groups, I would have gone with the 22. If I start competing, I will pick up a 22.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Sully:
$140 difference is a pretty big difference for a lot of "mights" and "maybes" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not if you amortize the extra $140 over a lifetime. If in doubt, I'd go for the larger unit. Always nice to have the extra cooking area available any time you need it. JMO. Enjoy whichever one you buy.

Yes, if you need to refuel: It's a two person job if you prefer to remove the stack on the big wsm.

Yes, if you want to cook somewhere other than home and space is at a premium. I just carried mine in our car's trunk to a family reunion.

Yes, if you believe that a full cooker's higher humidity will help the meat's moisture retention....and yes, this is a popular contention, particularly among the guys with the really big pits.

Chris - My preference was the 22.5! I've not seen a "downside" for smaller cooks, other than the fuel consumption, but we're not talking a lot of dollars there so it doesn't bug me. I did 2 racks of ribs a few weeks ago - nothing else - turned out fantastic. Last week though, you couldn't accomplish in a 18.5 what my brother and I did. We butchered a whole hog (not too big but he was still pretty big). We fit 4 butts, Ribs, Loin, Head and Belly!!! (pictures to come soon) LOOOONG cook but well worth it. No way you could that with an 18.5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith Pietranczyk:
Chris - My preference was the 22.5! I've not seen a "downside" for smaller cooks, other than the fuel consumption, but we're not talking a lot of dollars there so it doesn't bug me. I did 2 racks of ribs a few weeks ago - nothing else - turned out fantastic. Last week though, you couldn't accomplish in a 18.5 what my brother and I did. We butchered a whole hog (not too big but he was still pretty big). We fit 4 butts, Ribs, Loin, Head and Belly!!! (pictures to come soon) LOOOONG cook but well worth it. No way you could that with an 18.5 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keith, I've never really thought about it, but I'm surprised that whole hog bbq isn't more popular up in the pork producing areas of the midwest.

You can rent hog cookers around here for not too much, but I've never bothered with it. I'd think whole hog bbq would be a little simpler than all those seperate cuts, but hats off to ya just the same, and I bet it was good. Did ya'll mix the different meats up for sandwiches like they do in the Carolinas?

Back