How much Kingford

Chet Kreidler

I am getting ready to do my first long cook tomorrow. It will be to 8 pound butts on a 22.5 WSM. How much charcoal should I expect to go through? I am figuring at least 16 hours.

Chet, I always fill my charcoal ring and if I don't use it all, I just close the vents when I am done and snuff out the coals. I have a 22 and I think it will easily go 10-12 hours before refilling the ring, maybe more. So far, every time I try a long cook it rains and forces me to finish in the oven. If you really heap it up at the start, you might make it. I am using lump charcoal. Good luck.

Ditto what Shane said! The nice part about the Weber is you can shut the vent and save what you don't need. That said it does not hurt to have 2 or 3 bags on hand just in case.

Yeah, I have an 18.5" and I would fill mine up to almost overflowing for a real long cook. I wouldn't think the 22" would be much different in that regard.

Fill the ring.... with butts they can go anywher from 12-18 hrs. on average. I have run my 22.5" WSM on a full ring of 16 lbs. of Kingsford for 20 at 200-210° on the lid therm. Just pay attention after about 16 hrs. or so, if the temp starts to drop gently kick the bottom a couple of times (make sure you are wearing shoes! lol). That will knock the ash off of the briquets and let them breath a little better, which lets them burn longer at the end.

Back