How much food can each hold?

Get the big one if cooking rolled or half slabs of ribs or shoehorning briskets between the 18.5" grate handles is gonna cramp your style.

IF NOT, this is my take on 'em: My 18.5" cooker is plenty sufficient and more convenient for my purposes, even though I regularly cook for 10-12 folks. If I'm gonna have a BIG bbq, pulled pork is gonna be what's served and four 7-9lb pork butts will feed many more than the Missus is gonna invite. Six slabs of ribs halved and cooked in two six-slot rib racks works great, although you can simply roll and skewer up to eight.

As for chicken, I'm not a stickler for "crisp" skin and will cook 10lbs of leg quarters on two grates or 20lbs if I use an extra grate. My favorite chicken cook now though is small 3.5lb butterflied birds, two to a grate with the legs pointed opposite directions and top of the breasts almost touching at the center of each grate. Briskets up to 14 or even 15lbs are no problem, and I've done several with two good sized 7-9lb pork butts on the other rack. Did that one night and had it all done in only TWELVE hours, water in the pan.

Bottom line, unless you're really serious about cooking for BIG groups quite often, go back to my first statement and let that be your guide. One other thing though, if you're a big foiler you might like the extra room of the big one.

I use my 22 OTS for a single butt or two slabs for the family. You could always have that to fall back on for small cooks should you get the 22 wsm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christopher Swink:
I'm torn between the two (I have a 22.5 kettle and love it) and trying to decide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You'll find some comparison photos here:

Test Cooks

Regards,
Chris

If you have a 22.5 kettle, I would go with the 22.5 WSM. That way, if you want to add another grate, you can use the one off of your kettle. I move grates around all the time. Kinda convinient.
icon_smile.gif

Hey Christopher, Had originally ordered a 18.5 but found a 22.5 on display at a local BBQ outlet. Bought the bigger one and have no regrets. Have done large amounts of baby backs all layed flat, 60 plus pounds of PP with no problems. Love my work horse.

Back