How Many Pounds Of Butt Or Brisket Can Fit?

Briskets, haven't tried to pack them in there, but butts, here's 30 lbs on 2 racks. I've heard of people standing them up on end and leaning them against one another to get 3 on a rack but I haven't tried it.

Bill

As Bill said you can stand them on end to get 3 per rack. I would use some toothpicks stuck in the tops of the butts to keep them apart somewhat.
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't neccessarily think it's the POUNDAGE of meat that matters, as much as it is the dimensions.

I always try to get a good measurement of the meat in the cryovac to see if it will fit in the cookers.

I have had some butts that were not as long as others that weighed more - but would fit in the cooker. Whereas other butts that were longer, but thinner, wouldn't fit (and they weighed less).

So, I guess I said all of that to say that it in my experience, it isn't so much how much they weigh as much as it is what their dimensions are.

on the brisket front... most you can get in there is two whole briskets. So, assuming they are 11-13 pounds, on average, 22-26 pounds.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
As Bill said you can stand them on end to get 3 per rack. I would use some toothpicks stuck in the tops of the butts to keep them apart somewhat.
Or bamboo or SS skewers. I'm a stickler for good air flow.

My experience is like Brad's: dimensions are the big deal.

My local "pork monger" sells cryovaced butts 2/package when he has a big sale. They usually average about 14-16lbs each package.I look for ones that are fairly close in physical size to simplify the cooking process. I put 2 on top and 2 on the bottom for a total in the 30lb range. To me getting the size/wt close is important.

Jeff. I did 2 butts at 9.5 lbs and 2 at 8 lbs last weekend and they fit fine.I put the bigger ones on top and they all finished at the same time .

Bill,
In your picures do you have the wires from your temps running out of the door of the WSM or do you have a small hole drilled in side?

Originally posted by shawn244:
Bill,
In your picures do you have the wires from your temps running out of the door of the WSM or do you have a small hole drilled in side?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he is running them through BBQ Guru Eyelets.

Originally posted by Bob T.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shawn244:
Bill,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he is running them through BBQ Guru Eyelets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes ~ BBQ Guru Eyelets
icon_cool.gif
thanks Bob
icon_wink.gif

Back