How many ABT's will fit??

Zak

I have a 4th of July party coming up and i'm trying to figure things out. So how many ABT's do you think i can fit on each rack of the WSM? Also, how many chicken thighs do you think would fit on a rack? I'm thinking maybe 20 thighs? I know i can't fit everything in the WSM in 1 shot so i'm gonna have to bring the ECB as an alterate since i'm looking at 25 thighs and about 120 ABT's, plus the 6 butts and chuck roll i'm cooking the day before.

Here's a couple pic's for reference

26 will fit with 2 fatties with room to spare
img2583mj7.jpg

48 with room to spare
mvc710s8bb.jpg

baconbombs.JPG

I am sure that I could have added a few more if we hadn't used them all already. Hour or so to cook and 5 minutes to eat! good stuff.

edit - While this is on my performer this setup is usually cooking on my WSM. I love this rib rack it really does come in handy.

Zak,

My theory is always make more than you think you need. As some finish up you can pull them off and add more. If the people you're feeding are anything like the people who have eaten ABT's at my house, they will all go for sure.

Larry, Matt....those look trafrickenmendous

I actually have the hovergrill addon from smokenator and it does fit. When I do lots of ABT's I do them in pans with holes in the bottoms so they can drain. if you chris cross the pans you can get two on the lower level stacked and 2 up top.

Larry, did you have some extra long cut bacon for those? They look amazing. I usually cant get that nice of a wrap. Also, I try to find the thinnest cut bacon I can, since it gets pretty thick on there.

Thanks guys. I've been double guessing myself on the number i was going to do and i think i'm going to have to up the number. I gotta find another rack to stack in the WSM to increase space. I do have my homemade BBQ pit i made out of an oil tank but i'm trying to avoid hauling that down to Providence for the BBQ which is why i'm cooking the meat/pork the day ahead.

Anyone have an idea on how much cream cheese & bacon i need for about 150 ABT's?? I'm gonna split them length wise and fill.

I never heard of ABTs until this thread. Amazing! I will have to try them sometime but I`m not looking forward to the aftermath... the name has to imply something not so pleasant. Right?
icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Russell Y:

I am trying to see if a hovergrill from Smokenator will fit.

Do you know anyone who has used the smokenator? Looks like something that I would be interested in purchasing if it works well.

I don't want to hijack this topic but wanted to answer your question. My friend just got one with his new OTG 22.5 (no wsm... yet) and made ribs and brisket. He brought me some it it was good. He is still working out the kinks.

Has anyone tried mozzarella cheese instead of cream cheese? Also on the pulled pork is it better to use some that hasn't had any bbq sauce on it?

Just an FYI, about 120+/- will fit with a 3rd grate rigged up. I had to put the rest on the grill since the ECB had chicken on it. I've never tried a different cheese although many people do say they come out very good with other types of cheeses. As for the pulled pork, i really think it can be skipped since it's not much your putting on and I really don't think it adds much flavor.

Back