How Long Should Internal Temperature Read?

Will R.

TVWBB Fan
A question that was brought up today that I never really thought about: When you reach your internal target temp., how long should the temp. stay on the read out? For example, your target is 160 and you insert the probe and it displays 158,159,160,159,160, etc. I guess what I'm asking is that when you reach your target temp., should it maintain that temp. for a certain time or as soon as you reach it, then you reached that desired temp.?

I doubt I make sense.

I would suggest you use your initial temp as a guide, it lets you know if your in the zone. Take other readings in different spots & use your best judgment- looks, feel. BBQ is part art.

160 is 160 is 160. Doesn't matter how long it sits there. If its going between 159 and 160 its becuse your probably at 159.5. Mainting at a temp doesn't really do anything. Once you hit your mark temp then your done.

Depending on what your cooking, temp isn't everything. For a pulled product like pork when you get to the 180+ mark I start to go by the way the bone feels. If I can take that bone and slide it out w/out any resistance, its done.

If your dealing with a health dept then you would have the internal read for aprox 4 sec.
For your purposes if the target temp read is in a couple of spots in the thickest parts of the cut your good. Will get some temp climb during the rest period.
Jim

Back