HOW LONG? Butts in the cooler

C. Moore

TVWBB Member
I took two butts off and wrapped them in foil at one this afternoon. I immediately put them, wrapped in towels, in a very well insulated tight lidded cooler. How long should they be okay? I was not planning to unwrap them until around six this evening. Thanks to all.
Charlie

I did a two a couple of moths ago that I foiled/coolered at 195*. In 4 hours time the butts were at 170* for what it is worth. These were foiled and wraped in a bath towel. I did use a small cooler and then duck taped the lid shut. When I went to pull the bones were still pretty hot to touch. Worked very good. Vince B

Longest i've gone is 6 hours, there were 4 butts, 2 per cooler. At my clinic, we get insulin shipped in with super thick foam coolers, and that's where I had the butts. AFter 6 hours, they had to sit on the counter for a bit before pulling because they were still so hot. Nothing like the smell when that cooler opens up and there are people standing around to take it all in!

I use newspaper as insulation. I have a soft sided cooler, and i go to our recycle box, grab six inches of newspaper and put the foil wrapped meat on top. Cover that with another 6-8 inches, and that meat stays real hot.

Did an overnight smoke with 2 butts Labor day weekend. At 6 am foiled wrapped in towels and into cooler. The wife and I went to play golf and 5 hours later when we pulled, meat was still above 170.

I had same question a year ago and got same responses from forum members.

Have used the cooler with newspaper on many occasions and you would be suprised how hot things stay for hours and hours.

I have used remote thermoeter on a few just to check temp for curiousity and safety. I have not had them dip into the critical zone (which I believe is below 140 F.) Please correct me if I am wrong anyone.

I used almost the same technique except I crumple newspaper up and surround the wrapped meat with that. Air trapped in the newspaper is a very good insulater. Kept my butts about 7 hours very hot.

Back