How do you serve your Boston Butt?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I brought some BB to work for the crew and bought some wheat buns to make sandwiches. I think the pork went over okay but the wheat buns were the wrong thing to use -- and I felt kinda stupid because I was hoping to make an impression on these people.

So, how do you serve your BB? What kind of buns do you use when you serve them on buns?

I brought some BB to work for the crew and bought some wheat buns to make sandwiches. I think the pork went over okay but the wheat buns were the wrong thing to use -- and I felt kinda stupid because I was hoping to make an impression on these people.

So, how do you serve your BB? What kind of buns do you use when you serve them on buns?

We usually get a more substantial bun like a Kaiser roll. We let people build their own sandwiches, providing cole slaw and a couple of sauces (usually various Carolina styles). Personally, I prefer to eat it without a roll and with the cole slaw on the side. I sprinkle just a bit of a spicy vinegar based sauce on it.

Since some people put the cole slaw on the meat along with sauce, we found regular buns (like hamburger buns) just fall apart with all that liquid.

Since your pork was delicious, I bet no one cared about the buns!

I believe that this is an excellent question. The quality and construction of a bun can make or break a great filling. I have used fresh French Baguette's. They can be cut the length you wish from "normal" sandwich size to submarine size as preferred. I get great Baguettes from Costco but they are available from many sources. They are sturdy enough to handle wet meat (like Pepper Stout Beef) or pulled pork with BBQ sauce without falling apart. They have delightful texture and "bite". Their crust is a bit hard for my wife. She prefers Mexican Torta Rolls. They are strong enough to hold together but are softer than the baguettes.

An aside - much of the bread I really like has very short shelf life (they don't have a lot of preservatives - I consider that a plus). So, we break them down and freeze what we do not immediately use and thaw before using. That way we always have fresh bread with the characteristics we bought it for...

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Yea, I agree with the others. A sturdy white roll, like a hard roll or seed free kaiser, let people build their own sandwitches, and leave the meat sauce free with a couple of sauces on the side.

If you can, find yourself a good Italian bakery in your area. We have several and they make kaiser rolls that'll knock your socks off. Great for pulled pork or beef.

I prefer a pork plate: pulled pork, 2 or 3 sides (baked beans or black eye peas, vinegar based cole slaw, turnip or collard greens, etc), pickles (NEVER eat BBQ without pickles), a sliced of grilled Tx toast, and the sauce choices on the side (a thin vinegar pepper sauce, a thicker tomato based sauce, and a "tweener" like Carolina Red - my preference).

If I go with a bun (rarely) a heavy duty bun like those mentioned above work great.

I go with a small, slider size, bun when I take pulled pork to work. It is an office and many of the coworkers prefer the small and less messy size. For home BBQ I agree that a nice Kaiser roll is the ticket.

Mike

Onion rolls are also good to use. Try the different rolls in the bakery section of your local grocery store. There are many types that work well.

Well I'm going to buck the trend and say that I love to eat (and I usually serve) my pulled pork on good old soft white hamburg rolls or maybe a potato roll. I don't eat or make cole slaw , and my guests dont seem to care about it , so that might be the difference.
I'll tell you another way to serve them that's nice. Get you some of those small white flour tortillas and you can make a nice little pulled pork fajita or burrito or whatever.very light and tasty.

Well I'm going to buck the trend and say that I love to eat (and I usually serve) my pulled pork on good old soft white hamburg rolls or maybe a potato roll

Me too. I usually buy the jumbo sized burger buns or get some pretzel buns which rock!

Tim

I usually just provided plain old hamburger buns but if I want to make an easy to eat treat for some of the folk at work I make egg rolls.

I usually go with the cheap, standard white hamburger buns. In my case, at least, they don't have time to get soggy - I eat them too quickly. For something more substantial I have used ciabatta.

Regular burger bun with coleslaw. My guest can build their own or they can plate it and eat with a fork with the usual sides.

Regular burger bun with coleslaw. My guest can build their own or they can plate it and eat with a fork with the usual sides.

That's usually how we go, as well. Sometimes no slaw, though. As common as it is, seems most folks could take it or leave it. I'm really fond of BBQ piled on corncakes too, but that's a rare treat.

Back