How do you like and use your slow N sear

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Figured since I got a killagrilla grate coming I might as well add a SNS, how do you use yours? What are the advantages?

I leave mine in the Performer all of the time, usually with the water pan out. Most of my cooking is in the 300-350 range, which is achieved by about a half chimney of charcoal lit on the gas assist, then dumped into the SNS right on top of any leftover coals from previous cooks, that have been raked to remove ashes. I put the bottom vent on about 1/4, and the top vent on about 1/2, and can get scary close to my target temps on my XR-50.

I also like to use it for reverse searing, using SNS' "Cold Grate Technique", and their grate with the removable section over the coals.

Advantages are that it is self-contained, you can pick it up as one unit to shake out ashes or dump, kinda like we get when we wire our charcoal grate to our ring in our WSMs. You'll also save your kettle's finish where the coal would normally lay up against the inside wall, and you'll get a bit more efficiency from the charcoal. Works great with the water pan on low and slow too, though I will usually use my WSMs for that.

I love mine and would get another right away if this one ever gives up on me, though I've had mine for years and it is in great shape and gets used a lot. Hope this helps.

Charlie

I leave mine in the Performer all of the time, usually with the water pan out. Most of my cooking is in the 300-350 range, which is achieved by about a half chimney of charcoal lit on the gas assist, then dumped into the SNS right on top of any leftover coals from previous cooks, that have been raked to remove ashes. I put the bottom vent on about 1/4, and the top vent on about 1/2, and can get scary close to my target temps on my XR-50.

I also like to use it for reverse searing, using SNS' "Cold Grate Technique", and their grate with the removable section over the coals.

Advantages are that it is self-contained, you can pick it up as one unit to shake out ashes or dump, kinda like we get when we wire our charcoal grate to our ring in our WSMs. You'll also save your kettle's finish where the coal would normally lay up against the inside wall, and you'll get a bit more efficiency from the charcoal. Works great with the water pan on low and slow too, though I will usually use my WSMs for that.

I love mine and would get another right away if this one ever gives up on me, though I've had mine for years and it is in great shape and gets used a lot. Hope this helps.

Charlie
This!
I can't imagine not having a SnS in one of my kettles.

I like mine. As said above, I use it mostly without the water tray. Water tray for longer cooks (or sometimes regular cooks, just to impress the friends and family into believing I know what I'm doing :LOL: ). Longer cooks you just fill the basket and light one edge, or for heat, just fire up a chimney and dump it in.

I'd also recommend the SnS stainless shelf. Used over the Slow N Sear it gives and extra zone of heat. I put my GrillGrate there and it offers excellent control.

The removable water tray is nice because it does get grody and you can just toss it in the dishwasher.

I think the most important side-benefit is protecting the finish on your grill. People will debate this, but it is possible for banked coals to damage the porcelain. Happened on my 2013 kettle.

Delmonico grill.JPG

grilled perogie.JPG

T-bone(2).JPG

I like mine. As said above, I use it mostly without the water tray. Water tray for longer cooks (or sometimes regular cooks, just to impress the friends and family into believing I know what I'm doing :LOL: ). Longer cooks you just fill the basket and light one edge, or for heat, just fire up a chimney and dump it in.

I'd also recommend the SnS stainless shelf. Used over the Slow N Sear it gives and extra zone of heat. I put my grill grates there and it offers excellent control.

The removable water tray is nice because it does get grody and you can just toss it in the dishwasher.

I think the most important side-benefit is protecting the finish on your grill. People will debate this, but it is possible for banked coals to damage the porcelain. Happened on my 2013 kettle.

View attachment 32534
Awesome set up Tim!

If ya had both 22 and 26 Kettle, and were gonna buy a SnS for one of them, which one gets it ?
I just ordered both but there is an interesting video on YouTube comparing the SNS deluxe to a 26 and it’s close.
After seeing Tim’s amazing gift to his buddy I went on a bit of a spending spree myself. 26 SNS, 22”Deluxe SNS and a killagrilla grate.
Going to be an awesome summer.

Last edited:
I have the 22" SNS original model, the water pan isn't removeable. I use mine in my Performer, for searing with grill grates on top like others have mentioned. But I use it more for smoking smaller items, I have a WSM 22 for the big stuff. It works really well as a smoker, once you dial it in, it is pretty easy to maintain temps around 225-235. Enjoy!

I'd also recommend the SnS stainless shelf. Used over the Slow N Sear it gives and extra zone of heat. I put my GrillGrate there and it offers excellent control.

View attachment 32534

View attachment 32535

View attachment 32536
Great pics Tim, they look like they belong in a Weber catalog!

Charlie

I dig mine.
It works very well.
I also got the black drip pan (that I foil wrap) so I won’t have to buy another bottom vent assembly.
Love that drip pan.

I got the fancy stainless drip pan with the cookie rack thingy also.
When I used it under a pork butt I did notice slightly higher temps.
The higher temp didn’t bother me but in retrospect I would have been just fine without it.

I have two performers and a SNS deluxe in one I am thinking of buying another setup for the other grill also.
They work very well and the deluxe has a stainless tray and rack so clean up is much easier. And as a added bonus it cooks good too....

I would say I use mine 80% of time. Rarely use the water trough.
I had to cut 1/2" off the top edge so it would fit in the WSC. Still perfectly usable in the 22" kettle but now lives in the Summit Charcoal.
One drawback its' overall size. I wish it were a bit bigger.. maybe just under half the size of the grill volume. The WSC is 27" and the SnS is a fraction of that. I have to be careful with the positioning when searing multiple food items.

Received my slow n sear shipment! Perfect timing wife wasn’t home. 🤣🤣🤣😂
No explanation necessary. I have to say the SNS deluxe, to me, blows the other 2 out of the water, thicker construction than the original and the removable water holder is perfect for me. I don’t really plan on low and slow often, I want to do a lot of reverse sear stuff on this thing.
I actually just ordered another deluxe for the other kettle.
seems like a well made product, of course the huge made in China sticker makes me 🤢.
Really looking forward to my killagrilla grate showing up soon.🇺🇸🇺🇸 Sounds like it had a shipping issue though so that will be next weekend.

Last edited:
Bruno, ditto on the "Made in China" stickers. I can't believe for what they charge they can't find a USA supplier.

Quality? I bought two expensive premium packages and both times the grates were FUBAR. One broken handle, one warped 3/8". Had to pack them up and send them back for exchange. Kind of a pain, and no swag for my troubles. Missed a freebie rub give away by a few days for Platinum Bundle purchase and didn't get that either. They should up their customer appreciation game. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I do like their products though.

Bruno, ditto on the "Made in China" stickers. I can't believe for what they charge they can't find a USA supplier.

Quality? I bought two expensive premium packages and both times the grates were FUBAR. One broken handle, one warped 3/8". Had to pack them up and send them back for exchange. Kind of a pain, and no swag for my troubles. Missed a freebie rub give away by a few days for Platinum Bundle purchase and didn't get that either. They should up their customer appreciation game. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I do like their products though.
I saw that Tim, it’s why I ordered a killagrilla grate.

It reminds me a lot of Solo stove, everything is on sale for a week or 2, hard to know if you got a good price at first.
SNS had a free poker, free rub, 10% off SNS kettle stuff, I managed to save nothing!
Don't sweat the little stuff, you got what you wanted, call it good!

Wait until you get the "Killagrilla" grate, bullet proof construction, see pic below. I just made some KFC via the vortex & the KG grates!

Attachments

• kfc-vortex.JPG
    kfc-vortex.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 18

Back