How do you cut your smoke wood?

G Dechaine

TVWBB Pro
We had a big storm last night. Bad for my neighbour's deck, good for my wood supply. I've got a bunch of maple logs, to go with my apple logs.

Am I ok just gettnig a chainsaw and cutting off fist sized chunks? I don't have access to a wood splitter or anything.

Cut into fist size rounds then if you need to split it smaller it will be easy with a hatchet or an axe. Also I found out that maple is easier to split when green...

joe

I agree with Joe, cut into disks about the thickness you like, then you can split it into chunks. All wood is easier split when green, or frozen.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Much easier. I cut to fist-sized then hatchet down to 4-5 pieces per. They season quickly and I like smaller pieces.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
We had a big storm last night. Bad for my neighbour's deck, good for my wood supply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At first I thought you were going to use your neighbors deck for smoke wood! Thanks for the info on splitting wood for chunks guys. Vince

Thanks for the input guys.

I've got some chopping to do this weekend.

A few large logs of maple...plus my apple logs from earlier this year. My supply should be good for the next two years, probably.

Back