How do you cover your water pan?

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi everyone, I like to cover my entire water pan in foil, so that the bottom does not get scorched. Does everyone else do that or should I just cover the top of the pan?

I cover (with foil) the terra cotta saucer that sits in the uadorned water pan. Some gunk eventually settles in the bottom of the pan which gets power-washed out in the fall.

I cover the entire pan. some say that water will get onto your coals if you do that, but I've never noticed a problem.

Why are you worried about scorching the bottom of the pan, wasn't it designed to be kissed by fire? lol

I simply cover the top (when I first got it I cover the entire thing, but seemed like a waste of foil)...

Used to cover with 2 layers... Bottom, then top, bottom, and finally top. Would only replace the final top between cooks. Now I just do 1 layer each.

I just cover the top with foil. I make a shallow bowl with the foil so nothing runs over the sides.

I do the same as Rich. Tossing the foil & it's contents into the trash after each smoke.

me too, just a little air gap between the pan & the foil. I don't cover the bottom, and I don't always cover the top, it just makes cleanup easier.

I foil the bottom first, then the top. No built-up gunk on either side, no XXI Century solutions. My 18 year old water pan looks brand new...just the way I like it. :)

Is this really post # 10,000 for Chris?? ^^^^^
Only foil the top here. One square of extra large foil from costco and fold around the edges. Folds/rolls up easily after cooling. Never worried about how the bottom looks.

Last edited:

Back