How do I time this cook? Chicken and Ribs

Justin H

This weekend I want to do both baby back ribs and chicken thighs at the same time on my Weber Summit Charcoal grill. I am going to cook the ribs with the 3-2-1 method so I know they will take 5-6 hours. I don't know when to put the chicken thighs on as I have only ever cooked them on a kettle via high heat. How long to thighs take at 250? When should I put them on?

BB will take ~ 4 (four) to 5 hours (check after 4). And do them 2-2-1 (if you foil at all; I don't but the hours remain the same ie about 4-5 hr). Do 3-2-1 method for spares.

Chicken, well I wouldn't do it at 250. It'll take 4-5 hr and you may very well want to add it to your charcoal pile when you're done. Best done at 350 for an hour or less(probably a LOT less time than an hour). Great skin pleasantly brown and meat is tender/juicy.

Here's a link for what it seems you're trying to do. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56232-Simple-smoked-whole-chicken-on-the-wsm although this was for a whole bird, not pieces.

You can also start your ribs at that temp (350) alongside the chicken and then start lowering the temps (after the first 40-45 min) for the remaining 3 hours or so for your ribs. Be careful of hot spots wiith the temp at the level for the ribs (normal smoking has them much further away (and somewhat protected by the bowl) from the heat.

When I broil thighs (in the oven, I know it's sacrilege---but its quick ), it's like 25 minutes for thighs.

Personally I'd do the ribs first at 250, take em off (and then foil to maintain their heat) and bump the temps up to 350 for the chicken. They'll only take 25 min or so (from your own experience you know how long) and the ribs will still be wayyyy hot.

Last edited:
I'm with Len on this. I like 275 for ribs - makes for better bark, IMO. Get your BBs done and foil them and chuck them in a cooler or wrap them in towels. If it doesn't violate your 'q purist sensibilities, you could also stash them in the oven at 200 degrees and hold them indefinitely. Then crank up the temp and do your chicken.

My suggestion is just do them separately. Due to the different temps, doing together isn't really optimal. Cook the BB's and foil them. Start a new chimney of coals for the chicken.

I'm lucky because I have WSM for the ribs and OTS kettle for the chicken. Cooking for my dads 82 birthday. He wanted ribs but I'm sure the ladies will all want chicken. That's more ribs for me.

Back