Hood Flop - Cookbox Disaster - Ideas

Sal Barsanti

Went to pick up a 2005 Genesis Gold yesterday (free) for a family member. Looked pretty good from the start.

As we were loading the grill into the truck, the hood flew open and cracked/broke the cookbox in two spots (see pics). In a split second, this happened, unfortunately.

Brought her home and set her up. Fired up with the first press of the ignition lighter button. The previous owner said the grill hadn't been used in two years. I was impressed with the overall condition. She even gave us a full propane tank that was attached to the grill!

Question: What to do now? Do I hunt for another cook box and swap out for the damaged one? Everything else on this grill is in good shape.

Or, do I scrap this unit and search for another one for our family member?

Would you try to cook with this grill with the broken cookbox sections? The problem is, the hood will not stop - stay up - with those sections missing.

I did search for replacement cook boxes, but didn't have any luck finding one. Weber doesn't sell replacements?

Appreciate your ideas.

Attachments

• Genesis Gold 2005 Back Right 20240203_144326.jpg
    Genesis Gold 2005 Back Right 20240203_144326.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2005 Genesis Gold Back Left 20240203_144323.jpg
    2005 Genesis Gold Back Left 20240203_144323.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 2005 Gensis Gold.jpg
    2005 Gensis Gold.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Genesis Gold Back 2005 20240203_144331.jpg
    Genesis Gold Back 2005 20240203_144331.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That's too bad. I would keep the grill except for the cook box, it's toast. Hopefully you can find a cheap or free Silver B to get a new cook box from. Combine all the best pieces from both grills into one.
That was my other question. As I hunt for a swap out box, will any 2005 (or era) gold/silver genesis work? All same size?

It's happened to more than just you. I broke and end cap on a 1986 first year Genesis because I was in a hurry to get away from the creepy place I bought it. Lesson learned. I was fortunate that a member here had a spare first year end cap to replace it with.

Finding a cheap run of the mill Silver hopefully won't be too hard - or take all that long.

And since you're mainly concerned with the cook box, pay particular attention to it's condition. Look at how loose the grates are front to back (bowing) and also holes in the box itself (burn through)
I think you came up with a fix for the bowed box, right Steve? How is that holding up?

I think you came up with a fix for the bowed box, right Steve? How is that holding up?
I cooked on that grill all last year and it's still fine. I'm suitably impressed with myself on that one since I was just going to chuck it.

A replacement grill should be easy to find. The three burner Genesis Silver/Gold grills were made from 2000-2005 and Weber sold a lot of them. I would find another grill and mix and match parts to make one grill with all the best parts between the two.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Damn, something else I rarely do and probably should. Only time I take the lid off is if I am alone and have to get the grill in the back of my truck alone. But, when I do, I put one strap over the top of the hood.

I have lost a couple Silver C side burner lids that are somewhere along the road in S. Wisconsin. It took me two mishaps there to learn that lesson.

This reminds of last summer. I was at HD and a guy bought one of those off brand grills. I saw him buying it at the checkout as I was leaving. I made a quick stop at the C-store for gas and got on the highway....Right behind the guy with the grill from HD. It was loaded across the front part of the bed behind the cab. Luckily he faced the grill backwards, because as he got up to speed on the highway, the lid started lifting. It kept dancing up and down and soon, all kids of paperwork was flying out of it. I wonder what he thought about the manual and all his paperwork missing when he got home.

A replacement grill should be easy to find. The three burner Genesis Silver/Gold grills were made from 2000-2005 and Weber sold a lot of them. I would find another grill and mix and match parts to make one grill with all the best parts between the two.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Ok, this is what I was looking for. 2000-2005 weber silver/gold. I think this will be my plan. I'll keep hunting and then mix and match.

Sounds like a plan. Thank you.

Sadly you learned a valuable lesson. Always take the lid off when transporting
I think we have rescued 3 webers in recent years. Purchased another one. I have always just loaded them into the back of a van/truck. Never thought to secure the hood and take it off. Isn't that crazy? By chance, I got them home without doing this type of damage.

Lesson learned.

I think we have rescued 3 webers in recent years. Purchased another one. I have always just loaded them into the back of a van/truck. Never thought to secure the hood and take it off. Isn't that crazy? By chance, I got them home without doing this type of damage.

Lesson learned.
Yep, seems like making mistakes is the way we learn most things LOL. How do you think I learned using a punch and hammer to get a screw out will shatter a fire box? LOL

If he has the pieces that broke out, can he drill thru the pieces and the box, overlay the pieces inside and out with thin bar stock, then thru bolt splice? Not familiar with this grill.

I do have the broken pieces. It seems that a repair job/mending is made difficult because those locations on the cooking box are the key "stopping" areas that hold up the hood. Meaning, lots of pressure. Not sure what/if there is a good repair proposition regarding this self-inflicted mistake.

Might just be easier to hunt for a replacement?
If he has the pieces that broke out, can he drill thru the pieces and the box, overlay the pieces inside and out with thin bar stock, then thru bolt splice? Not familiar with this grillI

Back