honey and pork butt

MikeD125

TVWBB All-Star
Has anyone used honey on the outside of a pork butt then applied their rub? Wonder how it turned out?

Has anyone used honey on the outside of a pork butt then applied their rub? Wonder how it turned out?

I have used local honey and or cane syrup. Use paper towels to dry the pork and then apply the sweet stuff, then your rub. I kept the smoker at 225° and the pork developed a nice crust as it would with brown sugar. I have always had a water pan in use when smoking the butts. Honey has a similar profile to the brown sugar, maybe a bit lighter and the cane syrup defintely has a bolder, deeper flavor.

I have used local honey and or cane syrup. Use paper towels to dry the pork and then apply the sweet stuff, then your rub. I kept the smoker at 225° and the pork developed a nice crust as it would with brown sugar. I have always had a water pan in use when smoking the butts. Honey has a similar profile to the brown sugar, maybe a bit lighter and the cane syrup defintely has a bolder, deeper flavor.

Do you have any pics? I'm curious how the bark looks...

Back