Homemade 26er cart build

Joel H in Brat City

TVWBB Member
After seeing Robert R's awesome 26" Performer build I've wanted to build something similar - my cart is going to have more storage built into it, because I have too much stuff scattered all over my shed. Enjoy!

Sketched it out first
grill cart front.jpg

grill cart back.jpg

I ordered the steel from Speedy Metals - they cut everything to within 1/8" - most pieces were over by exactly 1/8" - and went to work. BTW metal slivers are a pain to remove!

PXL_20201230_232802973.jpg

Added the supports for the wire baskets and propane tank

PXL_20210103_074212450.jpg

I mis-calculated how wide the Unknown BBQ brackets were going to be so I had to add some extensions to properly place the kettle - I also added some stand-offs to raise the kettle height to the butcher block top.

PXL_20210122_230149627.jpg

Once all the structure was together I test fitted the baskets, mounted the kettle and installed my pegboard pieces for hanging utensils etc.
PXL_20210206_023143373.jpg

PXL_20210206_023246583.jpg

I was using the side burner off of my Saber gas grill to light my chimney's so since it was the perfect size for the chimney and the fact that I never used it as a side burner I stole it for my cart. Just had to build a frame for it, skin it with a SS top and add an igniter.

PXL_20210206_023307847.jpg

Here's the top that will be going onto it from Forever Joint Tops - came in yesterday.

PXL_20210213_041024382.jpg

I'll be coating the top with 3 coats of Waterlox per their recommendation.

The cart goes in for powder-coating today.

Very nice! One of these days when I find a 26”, I plan on building another two barreled over performer 26” on one end and the WSM on the other, maybe.
Possibly the Smokey Joe and the 26” just to make things as diverse as I can! Since I’ve got the units, getting them into a configuration that is the most convenient possible.

Oh my goodness! That is going to be fantastic to cook on. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

So does that side burner/chimney lighter flip up and down?

If so, that's off the chain. That 20 gallon tank should be good for maybe what -- 3,000 chimney starts?

Complete overkill -- since the burner only does what a Weber cube would do. Which is why it is cool.

Joel

Thats a very Nice 26R cart build. Cant wait to see the finished product and a cook on it.

I wonder where Robert R went? I always enjoyed his posts.

That's some fine welding and fabrication work. You will no doubt have a setup that will last a lifetime!!!!!

Just whipped up a blueprint, I casually went down to the steel shop, I happen to weld up a spectacular construction, well of course it will be powder coated, the least one could do, oh that piece of butcher block tis nothing,
Mic drop
I am unworthy.

Last edited:
First off - thank you for all of the compliments I appreciate the feedback -it's been a lot of work but it's starting to really come together.

I'm glad that I decided to finish coat the cart myself - there were some blemishes in the powder-coating that really would've bugged me - however I did tell them that I was going to do the finish coat so no big deal it's the protection and durability of powder-coating that I was after.

So here she is back from the powder-coater
PXL_20210223_185934293.jpg

I roughed it up with a scotch pad, wiped it down and applied a 2000 degree primer coat

PXL_20210224_232729027.jpg

Followed by 900 degree caliper paint

PXL_20210225_055130865.jpg

Hopefully the I can do the final assembly Friday night!

Back