Hog wild---buckboard bacon smoke tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
My friend with the farm (you may recall I made her buy a WSM so when I visit I can do some smokin'----in fact, we recently did a venison roast someone gave her) heard a guy down the road who was butchering a hog. So we coulda' had the WHOLE THING for $200, but had nowhere to store it, so we went with some roasts and some loin meat for her, and some BELLY for me to do some proper bacon. Roughly ended up with about 76 lbs of hog for $75.

After the guy dropped it off, I went to cut her roasts or whatver into smaller steaks, and pulled back the butcher's paper, woah! Tons and tons of (really beautiful, snow white) fat. We measured 4 lbs of fat trimmed off a 9 lb roast---and that was with me leaving an inch and 1/2 or more on it!

Surprisingly, my belly was a better ratio of meat to fat. Quite meaty. So it's been curing happily, and this is day 10, so if I remember I will smoke up about 14 lbs of it tomorrow (and there's still that much or more, still uncured, in the freezer).

Can't wait to see what real bacon meat will taste like!

Oh...I also asked the guy for a butt, and he brought the ENTIRE SHOULDER. It's still in butcher's paper up in my friend's huge freezer. Jeez o pete, what on earth am I gonna' find when I unwrap THAT sucker...!

The fat was so lovely, tho, that I made her save it for future cooking. My dad says to cut slabs of it and beat it paper thin, then wrap roasts and stuff in it (that venison roast, for instance, which came out as lovely as a roast beef, except wasn't juicy, would have LOVED the pork fat). I'm thinking of rendering lard so I can experience the thrill of genuine cracklin's! Anyone done that?

The good thing about this meat is that supposedly it has no hormones, and no antibiotics. He did put the hog on a high protein feed for the last month or so, he said. Sure didn't put it on a treadmill!

I would have bought a whole ham, but I have seen green ones in my local market (lots of Hispanics at this particular store), and there was simply nowhere to store the thing.

How nice for you Susan...good hoggin to ya. Where I come from, Hoggin' has a whole different meaning!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I just did BB last weekend and it is amazing. I have 7 lbs of bacon in the fridge and boy are my friends happy!

It is really tasty. Let me know how yours comes out. Mine was a little salty I thought, but still great.

I used apple and got great smoke flavor.

Nothing better than a home grown hog. Used to have a friend that raised them the same way. Guaranteed it will be the best pig you ever ate.

Wasn't able to get it done yesterday, but I should be ready to smoke this 14 or 15 lbs in an hour or so...so, I'll let you know how everything turns out.

I can hardly wait! Rain is threatening, but I guess the ol' WSM won't mind.

Everything turned out just swell! Rubbed it with maple syrup, and added brown sugar to some of the pieces, too. I had so much meat to smoke that I had to improvise a 3rd grate using this nifty fireplace grill that Amazon sells for $15. It's a wee grate that stands on two legs (which fold flat for easy storage)---it's 12" x 9" x 6". I stood it on the top grate, with bacon beneathe it (since it barely has a footprint, and has great clearance) and it accomodated the extra meat perfectly.

Smoked it with a mix of hickory, apple, and maple. Yum.

Still doesn't have as much fat as store bought bacon, but definitely has more than the butt provides, so there was plenty on my cast iron griddle when I fried up a batch (and then another batch) this morning---which is cool, cuz I'm still seasoning the thing.

This was definitely bacony bacon.

A winner! And a good thing, considering I wound up with 30 lbs of the stuff.

Yeah, here in the south we always keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge for cooking with. But since I've been eating buckboard bacon, and haven't been buying the regular stuff, my grease supply is frighteningly low!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back