~Hinged Door for WSM~

I agree with Randall, the gasket material from bbqhaskets.com is the way to go. I have had it on my WSM for 2 or 3 years and it is still going strong. It is not very thick and it just works. It is made of nomex. Be aware, you will never stall every leak. It is just not possible and to be honest, that is not a big deal. The biggest leak of all is the top vent and you want that. It allows the smoke to roll over the meat and not saturate it. To much smoke is NOT a good thing. All things in moderation. Good Luck.

I used the gasket set from www.bbqgaskets.com for my 18.5" and it seals everything great! I believe it's a Nomex gasket. You can check it out and compare.

What kind of gasket material do you use? I have some grapho-glas wood stove flat gasket material left over from last year's attempt to fix a Brinkmann. I've thought of using that but was concerned it would offset the door so much it would do more harm than good.

I've used the replacement gasket material for a Kamado Joe and a Nomex product I've purchased at a local bbq store. I prefer the Nomex but the Kamado Joe product holds up very well too.

For what it's worth, I do use a the door (on the 18.5" model). I find that one can skew the door sideways just a bit to allow more air in without the need for modifications.

Back