Higher temp control.......

Nice!
Did you have to relocate your lid therm or was that an add on?
Also what did you use for the vent holes, a step drill or something else?

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Nice!
Did you have to relocate your lid therm or was that an add on?
Also what did you use for the vent holes, a step drill or something else?

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks tim, yes I relocated the thermo. Yes on the step drill bit as well. I taped off the areas where I drilled and took it very slow.

Interesting. I'm not sure how much more benefit it will add over cracking open a lid, adding more coals, using no water, etc and other methods. amybe it will be easier to achieve what you like. let us know how it goes.

Let us know how it works out, Glenn. I'm gonna finish my newest UDS some time or another, and I went ahead and put a few additional holes (using magnets for adjustment) in the kettle lid I'm gonna use with it for the same reason.

Glen, that looks familiar. Ha!
I am sure that you will like it. I put one on the bottom too. No Mo door proping.

Mark

WSMmods004.jpg

I changed it up a little since I started. Both WSM's will cruise at 350 sooooo easy now (empty foiled pan). Pretty sure I can go to 400 with no problems.

I will tell you that both therms are within 10 deg in boiling water and they both read 30-50 low compared to vent temp.

18.5:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

22.5:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks great.

I noticed on my first cook with the 22 if you leave the lid off for a minute, temp flies up. I am not sure you need an extra vent below as the exhaust seems to be the bottle neck.

Nice job Glenn! A while back i got MK to add top vent's to his wsm, i think he liked the result's.

Just an update, this set up is great. I can fine tune the temps and hold them to 400 (vent temp) so easy. I think it also helps to balance the draft/heat as well. If your a DIY minded person you will not be dissapointed.

Glenn,

Have you ever tried using the Weber therm in the vent ? When I add my extra exhaust vent I am going to mount it where the therm is, since it's worthless to me. But if is is accurate in water, maybe it will work well in the vent.

I haven't Josh, I did think about it though. However I know that in the 1st half of the cook it is 40-50 low and the 2nd half it is 20-30 low. I use it as a reference point like glancing at it through the window or walking by. I'm not a temp watcher per-se. I have come to learn that 25-75 deg will only change timing. Now if I where doing comps that would be a different story! I usually start low and adjust higher to control my timing.

Regards,

I will try mine out in boiling water to see if it's still accurate. I have read different opinions on the probe being affected by the lid, which I think it is with no scientific proof.

I don't mind temps in a range, but since we compete part time, I need it to at least be accurate.

Maybe I will try making a silicone plug for it and dropping it in a vent. With an extra exhaust vent I won't have to worry about leaving a hole plugged up.

In my opinion the stick therms with the clip is easier to use and won't impede air flow. Or a digital remote as well.

Looks good Glen, I did mine a few years ago and haven't regretted it once.

Actually since my original mod, I have added 2 additional vents to the top and 4 one the bottom. It's way over kill and have never had the need to use them much. But heck they are there if I need them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
Looks good Glen, I did mine a few years ago and haven't regretted it once.

Actually since my original mod, I have added 2 additional vents to the top and 4 one the bottom. It's way over kill and have never had the need to use them much. But heck they are there if I need them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you have a total of 7 vents on the bottom and 3 on the lid? Have you reinforced the walls to withstand the intense heat?
icon_eek.gif

Mark

Hi,

Where do you get the extra baffle (?), if that's the right term, for the new vent holes?

Can you order them from Weber?

I have run into a problem with inclement weather and plummeting temps on my 22" in two consecutive contests and this sounds like it might be a bit help.

Thanks!

Eric

Eric,

You will have to call Weber and order the vent plates. Keep in mind they come 3 to a box even though they will tell you 1 per box.

Not only does this work good for higher temps but it helps to get up to cook temps if you fill all the grates up with massive amounts of meat.

Back