High temp brisket

Good deal.

Note the bark here, a close-up of the meat from this cook. Dry rub over paste will get you this. If you wish, unfoiling pre-finish for a spell will restore bark texture.

I will second the dry rub over paste thing.

It really gives a nice texture and is loaded with flavor.

I highly recommend it.

PS- I am doing a 13 lb packer on thursday for a saturday reheat for a party, and I'll be doing a 14 lb packer saturday at a UCF tailgate party.

That's the beauty of a high heat brisket cook.

Arrive at 8 am, meat goes on at 9 am, eat by 4pm. Game at 6.......whew hoooooo!!!!!!!

Well I tried my first brisket on Sunday. I made the mistake of buying a brisket from Costco, I bought the largest one they had and it was still only 5lbs, and it was trimmed of any fat that was visible. I'm not sure if I didn't cook it long enough or not but I wasn't impressed, some sections were dry others were still tough. But it did get done very quickly.
I think I need to get a brsket from a butcher and give it another try.

Erik,

If you cut off all of the visible fat, that may be your problem. You want to keep the flat cap trimmed to about 1/4 inch at least, especially with the high heat. When I did my first one a couple of weeks ago, I cooked it with the fat side down and the fat seemed to protect the meat from the high heat. That being said, I haven't bought any flats from Costco so I don't know much about what they look like.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Erik, I would try a full packer from Sams. The last time I got one there it turned out great. The one I got was marked choice. Wallyworld on the other hand has full packers but not choice.

I have a butcher by my house that should have full packers so I'll try that next time.
I didn't trim any of the fat off myself, it was done like that straight from the cryvac pack.

Just wanted to say thanks. I made a high temp brisket on my Weber OTG yesterday and it came out GREAT! This thread inspired me and taught me how to do it, so thanks!

I recalled reading this post from last Fall. Tried a couple high-temp briskets with only fair to good results. I've gone back to low-n-slow with outstanding results. Last 2 briskets have been only the flats, about 8 lbs each. No trimming at all (would add photos to this post, but I'm not sure how). Been using IronWorksBBQ (Austin,TX) 24 hrs in advance. Pulling meat out about 6 hrs before going into WSM. Minion start, plus 5/6 small chunks mesquite. Meat has been consistent at taking 12-13 hours @ 225 to get to 195. I just pull and wrap in foil a couple hours. Been getting rave reviews (" I had given up on red meat for past 5 years until smelling this." "Never before had BBQ that did not require any sauce" (this one was a KC bigot!) "I want more of that candy (bark)."). Reading all of the earlier posts I'm not sure why my hi-temp attempts would not be near as good.

Kevin,

Can you tell me how the high temp brisket is supposed to taste as compared to a lower, slower cooked brisket (graded choice)? I have done 2 high temp cooks and, so far, still prefer my low temp cooks.

The first cook was admittedly my fault that it was not good. I am quite sure I pulled it before it was tender enough, relying on time and temp more than feel. It tasted like dry, smoked pot roast.

The second was much better. It was juicy and tender, but did not have the same smoke or bark that I prefer (I did not use a paste, I used my regular rub).

I have gone back to low and slow for a couple of reasons. First, I don't really have any complaints about my results from my guests or myself. My brisket tastes better, for my taste, than others. Second, I think I prefer a smokier product than a lot of people. I have some culinary education and have learned that I like a much heavier smokey note than most of my peers and instructors.

Again, I wish I could drive on by your place in Florida and see how it's supposed to be done. I have no doubt I would be impressed and learn something. Thanks for you contributions to this board.

I don't find them appreciably different. There can be a difference in smokiness but that can be compensated for by laying the smoke on heavier during the smoking phase. Whether that would equal what you're used to and prefer I don't know.

As for bark, it can be 'texturized' by removing the brisket from the foil and returning it to the heat. Bark components play a big role in the finished product. I've been getting the texture I seek by using the dry-over-paste approach.

Perhaps I can come by yours...I've yet to find brisket I really like when I' m in Dallas. Pretty much gave up. But there's a great Indian place on Beltline in Irving that I go to every time I'm in town that serves me well!

If what you're doing now works well for you then of course continue. I don't claim the high heat approach is the be-all end-all to brisket. I do think it works very well (or can), and I do think I've honed it enough so that it serves me. It does take some playing with so that the elements that are most important to you are realized. It is possible that some might involve some compromises that not all would wish to accept.

Jay, I've done the same thing Kevin suggested on my high heat cooks. I like a lot of smoke and a nice bark so I put the brisket back on the smoker when it's done for about 45 minutes. Then I pour on the smoke. Seems to firm it up. Becareful not to lose any of the juices when you pull the foiled meat off the smoker. It's great stuff!!

So how about one of you hi-temp champs write up a simple procedure for cooking brisket at hi-temp??
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reading all of the earlier posts I'm not sure why my hi-temp attempts would not be near as good.
Not sure either. What are your thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess there are enough variables between the last 3 of done recently and last fall/early this year, the real answer is probably an experiment. Get 2 about the same from my meat guy and follow my exact procedures on both, except do 1 one night at my normal 225, and the other the next night. What would be the best temp for the high-temp?

Perhaps I can come by yours...I've yet to find brisket I really like when I' m in Dallas. Pretty much gave up. But there's a great Indian place on Beltline in Irving that I go to every time I'm in town that serves me well!
100% agreed. I bought the WSM a couple of years ago after moving to Dallas and finding the BBQ for the most part abysmal. I moved here from Austin and thought that the brisket here was inferior. While I was right about that, I didn't yet know that the brisket in Austin was(for my taste) also inferior to what I could consistently produce on the WSM. Now, I think I am probably a brisket snob.

In any case, I'm not so married to my methods that I feel I have to continue to take 12+ hours to smoke a brisket. You said there's not any appreciable difference besides time savings? It's not juicier or different texturally? I'm only interested in results, so this probably merits more experimentation as I'm quite sure you're more than a few briskets ahead of me.
icon_wink.gif

And, by the way, yes...there are several great Indian places here. Beats the pants off the Q. Dallas is passable but not the best dining town in the world. Agreed.

I didn't yet know that the brisket in Austin was(for my taste) also inferior to what I could consistently produce on the WSM.
I couldn't agree more--nor do I find Lockhart and Luling all that terrific--notwithstanding all the accolades from the Texas media.

If a brisket is cooked low/slow--correctly--and comes out moist and tender, then, no, no appreciable difference. (If your low/slows are often dry then ,yes, there is an appreciable difference--but tht does not seem to be the case with yours.) I often find that low/slow briskets do not come out as moist and tender as high heat briskets. (We're talking standard supermarket briskets here--Select or MOR Choice, not Primes nor Kobes.) My feeling is that consistency is more easily achieved with a high heat approach--one just needs to play with the programatics to get it focused.

I don't have much difficulty producing good low/slow briskets. Apparently you don't either. All I am saying is that I think you can produce the briskets you want--in less time and with more consistency--using a high heat technique. You do/might have to play with elements in the approach--as you would with any other--to zero in on the elements most important to you.

(I go to Pasand, on Beltline, just north of the 183. Try it sometime.)

[/QUOTE]

Guess there are enough variables between the last 3 of done recently and last fall/early this year, the real answer is probably an experiment. Get 2 about the same from my meat guy and follow my exact procedures on both, except do 1 one night at my normal 225, and the other the next night. what would be the best temp for the high temp? [/QUOTE]

I do mine 325-350 lid. Sometimes a little hotter if the wsm is feeling like it.

Thanks for the temp tip Craig. The next couple weekends I need to do butts for a couple weddings, but after that I'll give the "side-by-side" experiment a try.

Steve

Hey Jay - On Austin BBQ, A work buddy was traveling through there and happened upon a place called ironworks bbq - he brought me some rub. It sure hits my tastebuds just right. Do you know anything about the rub? Remember seeing any aricles about it in the local paper, by chance giving the rub recipe? I'd sure like to make something close to it, so I don't have to order it across the internet. THANKS!!
Steve

Back