High heat, fast brisket cook

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
I did a high temp brisket on Saturday.

I didn't intend to, but in the morning we decided to have a brisket for dinner

I got the meat on by about 12:30pm or so with the clay saucer in the WSM stock water pan.

Minioned the start and left all vents 100% open letting the WSM go where it goes with temps.

The lid got up to about 310 while the grill measured up to 370.

About 3:30pm when the meat measured about 160, I wrapped and added liquid, with chopped onion and garlic.

About 6:00, I removed the meat when meat temps were between 175-185ish, mostly because we wanted to eat. After a short 20 minute rest we had it for dinner.

The total cook time was about 5.5 hours for a 12.25 lb pre trimmed packer.

The flat was a little dry but much better when dipped in the au jus mix of red wine, garlic, onion, etc. The dryness could have been attributed to the cut of meat or something I did/didn't do.

John

Im no expert but when I do a high heat i have it at around 330*. I also wrap at around 168*-170* which takes around 2 to 2.5hrs to reach. then another 2-2.5 hours till it gets tender in the flat. Then take off and rest for 10min and slice. If im going to hold for over an hour I take it off right before it gets tender since it will still cook while its off.
Like I said im not expert but this is how ive done it and have had great results. I read a post on the ring where a guy would pull it from the smoker when it was tender and cut the point off to make burnt ends(so put it back on unwrapped) wrapped the flat to hold. He said meanwhile lower the temp of the pit to about 250. Then after 2 hours unwrap the flat and but it back on for about 20 minutes to form the bark. I want to try that next time. I miss the bark on high heat cooks.

Not sure if it matters but I usually use the piedmont (sp) pan method but when doing high heat I just have one foiled pan on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">till it gets tender in the flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's the key. Temps can be anywhere when doing a high heat cook. Cook till tender or a bit sooner if planning to wrap and rest (I rarely do this, preferring a short rest on the conter just tented with foil).

The brisket can also be unfoiled just before it is fully tender and returned to the cooker to develop the bark.

Back